5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Having trouble starting new rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

Default Having trouble starting new rebuild

Ok, so i posted this a few weeks back and I never solved the problem so i'm reposting (maybe ill get it this time), I had the new rebuild running, but not running good, I messed with the timming and it died on me, now I cant get it to start again, well it starts but it jumps to like 1k-1.3k then dies any suggestions?

also I took off the IAC and made sure the holes were clean and I just replaced the PCV, if its a vacuum leak how might i track one down if I cant get the car started?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Having trouble starting new rebuild

*bump*
Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yes it sounds like a vac problem

is this a mass air or Speed density car?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: jagman454

Ok, so i posted this a few weeks back and I never solved the problem so i'm reposting (maybe ill get it this time), I had the new rebuild running, but not running good, I messed with the timming and it died on me, now I cant get it to start again, well it starts but it jumps to like 1k-1.3k then dies any suggestions?

also I took off the IAC and made sure the holes were clean and I just replaced the PCV, if its a vacuum leak how might i track one down if I cant get the car started?
The smoke machine is my best friend for vaccum leaks!! in less than 30 sec all will be found....If you don't have one or access to one take it to a shop and pay for the few sec it'll take and the hours of headache may be solved just that quick!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

this is a very vague description.

what all have you done to the car, from oil pan to intake plaque, please
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

I would try the smoke trick to find the vac lines, but I cant get the car started, don't I need the car started in order to check for the vac lines? it is a MAF, its a 90 GT, like I said I just rebuilt it and had it running and then I messed with the timing and it cut off, And I know that its on the right timing now b/c I had a friend come over that owns a shop and he set it, and then it started the whole rev, die thing. It dosent stay running at all. And I have not done anything after market to the rebuild. But I did take off the EGR tubbing that goes to the pump and down to the H pipe, and to the vac lines that went to the EGR valves on that certain line I plugged up the lines with RTV (did I do it wrong?) ok thanks, I think I answered all of those questions, THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM
djh1121
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: jagman454

The smoke machine is my best friend for vaccum leaks!! in less than 30 sec all will be found....If you don't have one or access to one take it to a shop and pay for the few sec it'll take and the hours of headache may be solved just that quick!!!
I know this may be a dumb question, but tell me more about this... I would love to test mine for vac leaks...
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

*Bump*
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Remove distributor.

1.pull out the first plug, passenger side, put left hand thumb in hole.

2.turn crank clockwise

3. when you feel air coming up on your thumb STOP AT ZERO.

This is TOP DEAD CENTER, STOP.

4. TURN CRANK COUNTER CLOCKWISE TO 10

5.Stab the dizzy back in , with it pointing at NUMBER ONE CYLINDER, PRECISELY.

try to start your car.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yup, do what he said.

i think its a timing issue... might be vac, but if it is, its one of your bigger vac lines(brakes, map(SD only, usualy wont run w. this unpluged), etc)

check those and let us know

Quick Reply: Having trouble starting new rebuild