5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smog tube... gt40 heads... uh wtf to do???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default smog tube... gt40 heads... uh wtf to do???

ok so im going from e7s to gt40s, problem is the gt40s dont have the holes in the back for this tube. so wtf should i do? and no i cant delete the smog **** all together, emissions is a concern

ideas? im thinking plug the rubber hose goin to this hose? or remove it all together and have the smog just going to the cats?

ideas? suggestions?

again no i cant just up and remove it all, and the **** if im gonna go back to e7s lol
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

Default RE: smog tube... gt40 heads... uh wtf to do???

take it to a machine shop, can't they drill them in for you?

I just left mine off but it looks like all they would need to do is drill them in for you
Old 12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry, just have the smog pump go to the cats and bypss the rest.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

you could have a shop drill out the proper air passages, or you could yourself instead drill and tap the holes to bolt up the air tube, leaving the air passage nonexistant. this would retain all the proper looking gear, and would only have an effect on cold start up if I am not mistaken. therefore the smog station would never know, and you still are passing emission sniffer & visual, also you are actually outputting the proper emmission controled exhaust except for the brief time at cold start up before the divertor valve switches to normal operation eg; air from smog pump going to cats.

good luck and please tell us what you end up doing
Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i could bring them to a machine shop... but im not that worried about it(i just started working at one too...)

ima just say ****it and leave it off, my concern is what to do w. the **** that goes to that metal tube? i guess i cant cap it off, if its going to be trying to throw air through it... should i just leave it sit open? i could give two ****s what it looks like under the hood, yall should see it now, its a mess, one more stupid thing wont hurt me any
Old 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

i need mine to look like everything is working also LOL
they look and make sure everything is there in virginia but there not sniffing "yet".
I just put gt40p's on my 95 and ran accross the same problem I just bolted that tube on the back of the heads up on the drivers side real tight.its just hanging there on the back of the heads if you just looked at it you wouldnt even know it wasnt hooked up unless you looked real close!!! If I had it to do over agian I would drill them out or have a machine shop drill them out...I hope its not hurting anything just sucking in cold atmosphere air????
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

see here(md) i get no visual, sept underneath for cats, but i get put on rollers.... stock i failed 3 times... now that im goin w. this h/c/i ****, i highly doubt itll pass... just needs to look like im putting out the effort to pass though
Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I just left it all the metal tubes on the back off and blocked off all of the lines to and from my smog pump (I did leave my smog pump on though)

And I cut my blocked off my egr tube with a penny....but they are different on the foxes I think
I obviously don't have to worry about emissions here[8D]
Old 12-12-2007, 02:03 PM
highway21
2nd Gear Member

do what i do....pulll out the check book...or find someone 2 pass u for some $$$$...i pulled my car up 2 the smog place and he already knew what i was going 2 ask him just when he hurd my **** idle...(crazy cam lope)..if u find a cool *** smog tech they should pass u for like 150-250..lol but gud thing i know like 5 smog techs...if u was in cali i would hook u up...just need ur regirstration and thats it..no car lol.. but i wouldnt drill nuthing...seems risky..the tube going 2 the cats just pinch it off or cap it off and remove the pump...then when u need it smoged put all the **** back on...sucks i know, but sounds like ur only option..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: highway21

do what i do....pulll out the check book...or find someone 2 pass u for some $$$$...i pulled my car up 2 the smog place and he already knew what i was going 2 ask him just when he hurd my **** idle...(crazy cam lope)..if u find a cool *** smog tech they should pass u for like 150-250..lol but gud thing i know like 5 smog techs...if u was in cali i would hook u up...just need ur regirstration and thats it..no car lol.. but i wouldnt drill nuthing...seems risky..the tube going 2 the cats just pinch it off or cap it off and remove the pump...then when u need it smoged put all the **** back on...sucks i know, but sounds like ur only option..
reading wasnt ur best subject was it? i can tell writing wasnt... [&:]

i distinctly said, im NOT taking the **** off... and have fun bribing the smog ppl, you realize thatsa federal offence, and you could look at jail time... around here, if you bribe them, they call cops, simple as that...

and plz, no body take the advice to cap off the hose going to cats, assuming there are cats(not an o/r mid pipe) you will shorten the life of them

not to mention you didnt even remotly answer my question

but hey, thanks

Quick Reply: smog tube... gt40 heads... uh wtf to do???