5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam??? for Carb 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Cam??? for Carb 5.0

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: my77stang

roller or flat tappet?

your carb is too big BTW - TRUST me you want a 650 tops on a 302
It would be flat tappet. He wouldhave to modify the block and get custom push rods to run roller.

Didn't even realize he is running such a big carb. Really the car came over carbed from the factor with a Holley 4160600cfm carb. That carb is to big for stock heads.Also same goes with the Victor Jr.intake manifold and the 2.5" exhaust. Only need a Edelbrock performer manifold and 2.25" exhaust when using the stock heads. After that you are just wasting power.
NO not quite..just purchase a retro fit roller cam and expensive retro fit lifters..but since the cam selection is so limited and price is through the roof it's not worth the retro change if you wanted a roller set up it would be cheaper to buy a roller block
I've always heard that small notchs will need to be made in the lifter valley to make room for the roller lifters. I've read this multiple times and been told this my Ford Racing Techs. But see as you have non roller car maybe you've done it with out having to?
In a non roller cam block you can't use the stock roller lifters 5.0's use because they will protrude to far out of the lifter bores and oil the lifter valley which is what happens if you try and use a standard roller cam in that same block with standard roller lifters.....that's why you have to use a retro fit cam which is ground on a different base circle and you use the retro style lifters with link bars so they don't rotate on you........you can use a standard roller cam in a non roller block but the retro style lifters are like 500.00.....I almost choose that option when having my 347 built from ford strokers but the cost out weighted the benifit of a slightly stronger block for the power level I wanted....so I went with a standard roller block.....you can make anything work it's just not always cost effective
Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you're wanting a cam that makes power up to around 6,000rpm but have that big of a carb and intake, you're just gonna lose power.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I've always heard that small notchs will need to be made in the lifter valley to make room for the roller lifters. I've read this multiple times and been told this my Ford Racing Techs. But see as you have non roller car maybe you've done it with out having to?
The small notches are required to remove/install the corner lifters w/out having to remove the heads, not a required modification to use them, more of a "ease for replacement w/out having to remove the heads" problem.... and not required if you use the linked lifters...... any other lifters will force you to use a reduced base circle HR cam. If you want to keep it flat tappet, and be 200% sure of choosing the best profile, you could check the cam evaluation/selection service at www.camshaftinnovations.com .....

Regarding the 700 cfm carb is way too big...... ..... it's not. I've used one for 15 yrs. in my 302 junk, and I had to increase jet sizes to get a good A/F there, no stumbling, no bogging, no hesitation, and accelerates like it should.... you need to tune it (or any other alternative anybody chooses) though. Besides...... wonder why Mr. Carroll Shelby used a 715 cfm Holley's in the GT350 289's .... or why I got better results from my old 289's with a 850 DP.... had a 600 cfm for daily driving, and the 850 was the "down to business" carb..... not because an 850 couldn't be used for a daily driver (which I did for a while anyway), but simply b/c it had a cracked/soldered base plate.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Highrpm

There is always going to be a debate on which intake to use on your engine. Everyone tends to favor what they have or have heard about that makes the BIGGEST HP! Personal application is really the question that should be asked. Now I know that I listed a Victor Jr. above but I also have a Performer RPM. I recently picked up the Victor Jr. because I found it at a swap meet for $50.
Single plane vs Dual plane is a debate that people need to be educated on. I'll just go ahead and post this link to help clear up anyone's debates.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ake/index.html
It's an article that compares the 2 types of intakes and explains the differences as well. Worth reading!