5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fixing a rear bumper Updated w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default Fixing a rear bumper Updated w/ Pics

I have a cobra bumper on my car and I now have a huge rip across the bottom of the bumper, can these bumpers be glued together and fiberglassed to be able to hold together, has anyone done this and what types of stuff will I need to make the repairs.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fixing a rear bumper

Never tried to fix one of these bumpers (even though my front bumper is being held together by zip ties), but in my experience trying to plastic weld, fiberglass, or glue cracked body parts, the repairs have never lasted long. I just boughta new bumper today--I'm not even going to try to fix the old one. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

it would not be so bad if my dumb but did not cause the damage but I did. It could have been worse though, earlier tonight I was lucky when I hydoplaned towards a ditch but I saved it and got her back on the road.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Glad you pulled out of it, and are ok. Yeah, it could have been a lot worse. I destroyed my own front bumper as well. I pulled up too close to a parking block, and when I backed it, it ripped the bumper apart in two places. I felt dumb. I'll feel even dumber if I do the same thing to my new bumper.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Stuff happens, I feel stupid too. Live and learn.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

My Ford manual says to use Superglue to glue it back together. Then you have to fill/paint it also.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:03 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boss_Hotrod

My Ford manual says to use Superglue to glue it back together. Then you have to fill/paint it also.

I wonder if that gorilla glue would work also.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

post a pic of it, if it is clear enough I should be able to tell you if you can fix it. Obviously it is better to feel it and see it in person, but... There are all sorts of ways to fix bumpers depending on the damage sometimes there is a straight hole or something, patch panels are sold, and you place it behind the area, then drill a couple of small holes around it for adhesion for plastic welding, and then the are above it is filled. Techs also use a pretty fool proof method of shaving excess material from the inside of the bumper b/c they know the material is a match, heat it and use it to fill. Don't use super glue. Most shops have special glue for the patches etc. from a company called Fusor, it has two different materials that are mixed in a special tip, and it hardens incredibly fast. get it fixed by a pro and you won't have a problem with it...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I updated this thread with pics. Anybody ever use Concept Designs bumpers or spoilers if I need to get a new bumper.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:45 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Use mar glass, its a fiberglass fill and very strong

Quick Reply: Fixing a rear bumper Updated w/ Pics