5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Higher revs & top speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Higher revs & top speed

ORIGINAL: aode06

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop
YOU HAVE TO HAVESH*T FOR BRAINS TO DRIVE A MUSTANG THAT FAST.

The SSP Police Fox Bodies will follow you to 160mph as proven plenty of times, invest in suspension , roll cage and rubber, this is very possible.

But at those speeds, even corvetts and exotics have lost control on a fast corner.

Past 140 mph, any water, gravel, road unlevel, car turn in your lane etc, can mess you over
SSP mustangs will not do 160mph. They are basically a stock Mustang missing smog equipment. So horsepower is roughly the same. Yes the suspension is beefed up to handle more speed. Not sure where you get the extra 20mph. Anyways my basic point was you are an idi*t to drive 170mph in a twenty year old car. I'm not saying that a wellbuiltMustang is not capable of speed of 170mph, I'm just saying driving on public roads at speeds like that is socially and mentally retarded.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM
my77project
1st Gear Member

gotta agree with you there mate. I mean, I like speed...but you're nuts if you're doin 170 on a public road....closed or not.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

guy at work was telling me about this...
stock lx vs stock gt, both foxes.
top speed was about 140, the lx went 5mph more just from lack of air resistance and weight. to get the lx to 200mph took 1000hp, thats 60 more mph and 775 more hp.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Hp has a lot less to do with top speed as gearing, its about gearing, theres no set amount of hp to get to a set speed, gearing is all that matters unless you only have 5 hp
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 AM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Hp and aerodynamics have a lot to do with top speed, actually. Gearing is important too, though. You have to have the gearing to actually get to whatever speed you want, but you also have to have the hp to overcome the aerodynamics that keeps acar from going that fast. If gearing was all that mattered I would be able to do 215 mph in my car, which is not going to happen.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

your right aerodynamics has a lot to do with it so does wieght, i totally agree im just saying gearing does have a lot to do with it than hp, a few previous posts basically only mentioned horsepower and stated there was a set number of hp to get to a certain speed. Look at a lotus elise those cars only have 190 hp but there also geared for it, only 1900lbs and very aerodynamic.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 AM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

you guys can call BS all day long,ive got the crap on video,the full DVD should be released in the spring/summer

the car being 20 years + old,means nothing

there isnt a thing on my car older then a year or two. lmao it even said on the GPS 171mph,we are supposed to do it again,as long as the town gives them permission again,as i said before,the road was CLOSED down for a movie. only person being risked was my own life,so...get over it already. you wouldnt do it,fine...i did,and it was a blast.

come spring they are trying to get film of 180,right next to the SAME cbr1000
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 PM
ltrayne84
2nd Gear Member

you're awesome bro, SIKE
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Don't forget tire size. The car with larger OD rear tires will be going faster at the same RPM's as the car with smaller tires.

As for horsepower, it all depends on the aerodynamics of the car. The more aerodynamic the car is the less wind resistance acting against it, which is the primary negative force. So a car withgood aerodynamics will respond more to horsepower increases (top speed wise) as cars with ****ty aerodynamics.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
b_manne

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

your right aerodynamics has a lot to do with it so does wieght, i totally agree im just saying gearing does have a lot to do with it than hp, a few previous posts basically only mentioned horsepower and stated there was a set number of hp to get to a certain speed. Look at a lotus elise those cars only have 190 hp but there also geared for it, only 1900lbs and very aerodynamic.

i believe the top speed on it is like 140ish...

its all about hp and gearing...
my buddy with his cobra has hit around 180ish..
his 1st gear end at 50
2nd @ 90
3rd @130
4rd @150
and shifted into 5th at aorund the 180 mark
racing a bike... of course on the many back roads of texas , where at most you kill yourself and maybe a cow.

also this isn't a stock tranny
he has about 500rwhp..

so you figure like a polynomial graph.. (like a cars dyno graph goes up like a half a U )
takes double or triple the amount to get the next 20mph

and the gearing to get you there...

however if the car has more hp the the wind resistance it'll keep going. ( whos to tell how safe tho) lol

so if he wants to go 170 lol in a stang
more power to you.

oh yah.. make a video too... i would love to see it happen.

Quick Reply: Higher revs & top speed