5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Rebuild - Orange County, CA

Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
rooster287

Default Engine Rebuild - Orange County, CA

Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for about two years but this is the first time i've posted. I've found a lot of useful information as i've made various mods to my car.

I have a 90 GT Vert which has about 200K miles on the motor. The motor runs strongs and has been extremely reliable. I've added a three core radiator, K&N Filter, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK H-Pipe, MagnaFlow exhaust, shocks / struts, H&R springs and 17" knock-off Cobra Wheels.

The car is AOD and I had the tranny rebuilt about four months ago adding a P&A valve body.

I'm interested in adding the edelbrock performer series parts to the car (heads, intake, cam, etc). and i'm thinking that the engine should be rebuilt at the same time.

Anyone have some suggestions for a good shop in Orange County, CA? I've been taking the car to a localmechanic who specializes in Ford and he quoted me 2K for the rebuild. The guy does OK work but i want to shop around before making the commitment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Engine Rebuild - Orange County, CA

ORIGINAL: rooster287

Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for about two years but this is the first time i've posted. I've found a lot of useful information as i've made various mods to my car.

I have a 90 GT Vert which has about 200K miles on the motor. The motor runs strongs and has been extremely reliable. I've added a three core radiator, K&N Filter, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK H-Pipe, MagnaFlow exhaust, shocks / struts, H&R springs and 17" knock-off Cobra Wheels.

The car is AOD and I had the tranny rebuilt about four months ago adding a P&A valve body.

I'm interested in adding the edelbrock performer series parts to the car (heads, intake, cam, etc). and i'm thinking that the engine should be rebuilt at the same time.

Anyone have some suggestions for a good shop in Orange County, CA? I've been taking the car to a localmechanic who specializes in Ford and he quoted me 2K for the rebuild. The guy does OK work but i want to shop around before making the commitment.

Thanks in advance!
If your local guy has done you well...stay with him!!.......I wouldn't short cut the process cause PACO down the street will do it for a few pesitos less........think about it...if people tell me they can have the work done cheaper elsewhere......then how is it done??? simple cheaper quality parts.....corners cut in the rebuild process or not checked out.........ask your self if the MC DONALDS 1.00 hamburger is the same quality burger like you get down at the local steakhouse.....yeah both will possibly fill you up but in the end which tastes better and if your me after the mcdonalds burger you reach for the box of tums!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: rooster287

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
If your local guy has done you well...stay with him!!.......I wouldn't short cut the process cause PACO down the street will do it for a few pesitos less........think about it...if people tell me they can have the work done cheaper elsewhere......then how is it done??? simple cheaper quality parts.....corners cut in the rebuild process or not checked out.........ask your self if the MC DONALDS 1.00 hamburger is the same quality burger like you get down at the local steakhouse.....yeah both will possibly fill you up but in the end which tastes better and if your me after the mcdonalds burger you reach for the box of tums!!!
Odd comparison, but it works.

Well you said that the mechanic does 'OK' work, to me that is a turnaway especially when it comes to internal engine work. Find someone that really knows what they are doing, and then pay them the big bucks to have it done right. I am a couple hours north of you in Valencia, CA if you are willing to bring it out here, there are all kinds of really respected shops around me.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

You could look up GRC Performance (in Mission Viejo, I believe). Ask for the owner, Umberto. It may be pricey, but they'll do the job correctly.