5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carbed car startin the cold....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:09 PM
DoctorD415
2nd Gear Member

Default carbed car startin the cold....

I know that in general a carbed car is going to be semi difficult to start in the cold, but mine seems like its a bit too hard. I've adjusted the carb to a good level, mabey i should lean it out more? I just cant keep the thing idled at all on cold days, i just wanna kno if there anyway to cut down the time i gotta spend out there tryin to keep it idle. Any tricks or advice? This is the first carbed car ive ever owned. Don't get me wrong i love the carb, just wonderin if theres any tricks to startin it when its real cold, thats all. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: carbed car startin the cold....

pump the gas a few times before you start the car and then as you are cranking it pump it a bit more, not like floor it but just enough to get some gas goin. you can hold the pedal down (not all the way) for a bit and let it warm up. keep your rpms a bit above idle for a few and it should be fine. my car starts perfect first time in 20 degree weather rare for a carbed car
Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

It would be a matter of calibrating the automatic choke and/or making sure it's working.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

haha chokes are pointless. it just takes a min to let it warm up lol i guess thats just because i dont have mine hooked up

Old 12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I'm with splash21. My choke isn't working, so I do the same as what he said, just give it a couple pumps (the usual), then wheel it over and when it goes to die out, just easy on the pedleenough toget it to hold a steady 1000rpm or so. Wait 1-2 min and let off slowly. If its gonna die just easy back on the pedle untill it will run on its own. Then run to the house where its warm lol.I'm sure a chokewould make it a heck of a lot easier.They work on the sleds and wheelers when its this time o'year.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

hey splash did you buy that car of a guy named kenny? sry to go off topic j.w
Old 12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: splash21

haha chokes are pointless. it just takes a min to let it warm up lol i guess thats just because i dont have mine hooked up

If that were the case there would of been no need ever to develop them.......all three of the cars in my sig are carb'ed and if it were not for the choke I'd be out there for 4 to 5 min with my foot on the gas...I'm a fan of the manual choke I set it and walk away in less than 10 sec I'm headed back in side while the car warms up...now on the other hand the guy who dropped a motor in my 84 bronco II broke the choke housing and flap and that truck used to start fine in the cold with the choke..now that it doesn't have one due to a broken choke horn flap I have to sit out there in it while reving it for 5 to 10 min.....it all boils down to knowing how a choke operates and how to adjust them...and if your car runs well without it then your mixture is fat to begin with most probably due to mis adjusted air bleed bypasses which would explain why it runs without a choke because as it get colder out and the air becomes more dense the mixture needs to be fattened up at idle...which is what the choke does by blocking off air to the venturies on the primary circuit.. either way what ever works for you go with it.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:49 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I have the Holley HP 750 for race application and it has no choke horn at all. Sometime's i wish it did though.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

i was being sarcastic. i know the use of a choke makes it a hell of a lot easier and faster at that. its just no big deal if you dont have one haha
Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Hm, that's strange. What i do with mine is tap the gas once. When i do that i can hear the choke pop shut, i give it another little tap (not pedal to the floor), then crank it. It fires up every morning, below freezing within the first second.

Quick Reply: carbed car startin the cold....