Rear Disc Brakes 8.8" - MustangForums.com

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear Disc Brakes 8.8"

Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default Rear Disc Brakes 8.8"

I bought an 8.8" from a friend of mine out of one of his junker cars and I took the brakes off of it because there was nothing left of them because he had allready robbed them of all parts except the backing plates. I went ahead and took the axles out and removed the backing plates and then stuck the rear end back together. I then got my rearend completely rebuilt with a new set of gears and all new bearings and such. Well I forgot to tell the guy who did the job not to stick the axles back in because I was going to hang it under my car with the new control arms and use my existing brakes off my rearend. Now that I have got my new rear all done and filled with oil and friction modofier, I didn't want to pull it back apart to put my brakes back on.

In saying all this, is there some kind of kit or swap from a later model car that I can get to put rear disc brakes on my 8.8"?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Disc Brakes 8.8"

I dont think there is. I was upgrading my rear brakes to cobra rotors on my 94 vert back in october and I couldnt find any kits that were able to put the brakes on the way you are dscribing. I was lazy myself and I ended up taking the diff cover off and pulling the axles. If you dont want to buy more fluid to put in it and the fluid is New, I would clean any dirt and debree on teh axle housing. Than clean a drain pan and let all teh fluid drain into that pan and reuse that fluid.