5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

transmission questio

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Leon_P

Default transmission questio

Hello,</P>

I just have a question about my transmission. I have a 1988 Mustang with a 5.0 engine and automatic transmission. Ever since I bought it in 1999, I have noticed that sometimes as I am taking off there is a pause before the transmission engages the first gear.If I press theaccelerator hard, it will engage a liitle faster, but still sometimes I get that hesitation like its out of gear (in neutral), even though I'm giving it gas. It is asif I'm driving a manual andrevving the car up in neutral before throwingit in first gear--except my car has anautomatic transmission and shouldn't pause like that before taking off. What doyou think the issue is here? Is this particular transmission known for this problem? Thanks in advance for your responses.</P>
Old 09-30-2003, 04:29 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

How about changing the filter and fluid
Old 10-01-2003, 01:36 AM
dohc_cobra
1st Gear Member

mine does the same thing.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 AM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

If it does it mostly when the trany is cold it's possible that it's just low on trany fluid,if it does it even after it's been driven for a while it's probably a seal on the forward clutch piston.Does it do it in reverse also?