5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what kind of mods can i go with speed density?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what kind of mods can i go with speed density?

ORIGINAL: 88mustanglx

so when they went fuel injected in and had speed density, and people wanted to add cams back then before the MAF came out in 89, what did they do?There were no mass air conversion kits than? Someone said it cost $1000 to get it tuned with your cam or whatever if you have speed density, thats stupid. The people at ford obviously were not thinking to put a type of thing as speed density in where you can't add certain mods.
yeah they did a lot or stupid stuff

Old 03-15-2005, 07:25 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Like I said before you can tune speed density just fine, its all depends one what you are going with you can't run a real hardcore cam because when you run more that .50 duration on your cam your vacums preassure drops on your engine and the Speed denisty relies on vacum for idle and other major engine functions. Right now I got by Custom Dyno tune and a diablo chip for 500 Canadian dolllars. Thats cheaper than MAF guys. I still do not know how its going to run but before my engine's idle was rough and I was rich due to my 24 lb injector upgrade. I had a DB3 Computer I think which was a un-adjustable computer soo I switched to a D9 and got a chip burned to get rid of my emmisions sensors as well as idle problems and tune it to my 24lb injectors. SD is easy to use if you do your homework after you get your engine idleing all you have to adjust is timing and fuel pressure from there and read if your O/2 sensors are rich or lean there is also a way to probe into the o2 sensors and get the voltage to see if they are running lean when you are driving. That article is also at 50tech.com. Soo take it from me I have pissed around and done alot of trail and error with my system. There is facts from guys that are running 400 hp + with SD easily
Old 03-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

that is total Bull **** cose i have an SD and a cam in mine and it ran fine i did not have a problem with it, if you can tune it right it will run fine, yeah a mass air is better, but you can still do it with sd, a buddy of mine makes 400hp with a sd computer and it runs fine, he drives it all the time.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

that is total Bull **** cose i have an SD and a cam in mine and it ran fine i did not have a problem with it, if you can tune it right it will run fine, yeah a mass air is better, but you can still do it with sd, a buddy of mine makes 400hp with a sd computer and it runs fine, he drives it all the time.

dude, you talk about tuning , how do you do it? What do i use to tune the computer? is it one of those little hand held things?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

no its call by sound, smell, how it runs how it idles all of that, im not going to wast $500 on a hand held programer
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 AM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

ok well how the f*ck do you do it?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i would take it to a dyno and get a dyno tune and you will be good to go
Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST
Old 03-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you have to know what your doing, if i was you i would just dyno the car, unless you have some experince tunning on cars.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Crash7772
1st Gear Member

Sorry if I'm bringing up a month old thread but................I have seen blowers, cams, heads, intakes, headers, injectors, you name it on SD cars. I have seen over 300rwhp and fully streetable to boot. The only thing you can't do is run a highly radical cam the alters the manifold pressure a lot. You tell me that you build a mass air car and you have no tuning issues at all......Think again. If I recall the Factory Stock class outlawed SD cars for a year or two because the mass air cars couldn't keep up and they were putting down low 12's with minimal mods. You have 3 years of SD in Stangs and 7 years in the 85-95 era of Stangs so people understand mass air better because there is more info out on them and people won't take the time to understand SD. I got into the trap of "you can't mod a SD car" so I went out and bought the parts to convert. Well it's been 2 years and after some research I haven't converted yet. I dynoed last summer 225hp and 298tq to the ground with only small bolt-ons. I will be doing a H/C/I swap in a month or two and I can't wait to hit the dyno and track with my new SD set up. If anybody is interested I will post results as well as any problems I run into but I am very confident that everything will go smoothly. Sorry if anybody finds this post offensive in any way but there is nothing wrong with modding SD.

Quick Reply: what kind of mods can i go with speed density?