5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what kind of mods can i go with speed density?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

Default what kind of mods can i go with speed density?

my 87 is completely stock and i am just learning about speed density (which i have) vs. mass air.

obviously mass air is better but what can i do to get more hp without converting to mass air?

what should and shouldnt i change before i convert?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:11 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what kind of mods can i go with speed density?

gears, heads, intake..... might as well convert to mass air if you want to get a cam.... as the SD eec needs normal vacuum range to operate properly....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:12 PM
83GT306
1st Gear Member

First off, I'm not a technician. but I believe you can buy a computer chip to remap the fuel curve and timing etc...for intake & exhaust mods, but don't change the cam until after you convert to MAF.
Although, why would you do any of that and waste the money?
You can get the stuff to convert for less than $500 bucks, and I'm told it's an immediate improvement in driveability over SD.

I'm in a similar position with an old '88 Lincoln LSC right now, SD runs good, but it's not a race car Mustang, so I just leave it alone for now.
Eventually, I'll do the conversion out of curiosity because I've heard so many wonderful testimonials about the difference.
I'm more interested in installing steeper rear gears first, instead of the ECU management, I might stop right there.
It's all about the money....what you have, who can give it to you quick.
Sometimes I think these sites encourage people to make irrational financial choices, but that's just an old fart with kids talkin'. lol

Get some 4.10 gears, you'll love 'em!!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

If a SD car is tuned properly it will as good as a mass flow car.I have heard sometimes it runs better.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:14 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Well here is the low down man, I have a 88 Gt and have SD with the mods listed below. I have a wierd case because my SD computer was a oddball computer and it would not learn the mods that I bolted on and ran liek crap. You can do a cam as long as you keep the duration of it below .50 go to www.50tech.com thats where all the SD boys go and have awesome info on cams that they are running. I have a diablo computer coming I am going to try out should be here within a few days. I will let you know what happens with my car. If this doens't clear things up I am going to convert to MAF. And the computer burn cost me 500 Canadian Dollars from a very renouned computer guy. Soo I hope things will work out. Dont be afriad of SD it just takes alot of messing around to get things running better, and when you do get it going better the plus about SD is that you never run lean like alot of MAF guys do. Soo I hope I helped out a little and if you want real good info go to 50tech and search Speed Density.

Good Luck
Old 03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
88mustanglx
2nd Gear Member

so let me get this straight when designing the mustang, the people at ford know mustangs are known to be modded and crap so they put on speed density so you can't add certain mods like cam and such, thats retartded. thats doesnt even make sense. MAF is to much money, maybe if it was like $100 but $500 wtf?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

It's just the fac tthat they didn't equip them with MAF, that's it. IT's only in the early years anyway.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:36 PM
87 hatch
2nd Gear Member

ya wtf! i will probly look on ebay for a mafconversion kit. if i cant find one i will just buy the ford racing one for like 550. that doesnt seem right thoe. just like 88mustanglx said there has to be a way around it. do all cars have speed density? cant i just buy one of those computer tuners that you see on HORSE POWER TV?

IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT THOSE COMPUTER TUNERS AND IF THEY WOULD WORK OR NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:01 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

you can get the parts off ebay or a savage yard and pay a lot less

i paid this for my conversion
Computer $100
Wiring Harness $40 (Ebay)
MAF $200 (Ebay)
Total $340
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 PM
88mustanglx
2nd Gear Member

so when they went fuel injected in and had speed density, and people wanted to add cams back then before the MAF came out in 89, what did they do?There were no mass air conversion kits than? Someone said it cost $1000 to get it tuned with your cam or whatever if you have speed density, thats stupid. The people at ford obviously were not thinking to put a type of thing as speed density in where you can't add certain mods.

Quick Reply: what kind of mods can i go with speed density?