5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TO ALL WHO HAVE DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS ENTER HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:47 PM
suzukispeeder
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TO ALL WHO HAVE DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS ENTER HERE

93 lx 5.0 gt40 intake, 351 alum heads, tuned mass, bbk headers, lunati cam.

Got a prob need help not too much of a mechanic on mustangs, traded my bro-in-law my 97 civic for this. It ran until about a year ago when he decided to put the twin turbos on it. The turbos were bad so he put it back factory, he meesed something up, and had a mechanic look at it the first mech didnt fix the problem so he got a second guy to look at it fixed it got it running but not right. So he let it sit for 6 months. Since I got it I had to switch out fuel pumps, fuel filter, and spark plugs to get it running. When I take it for a spin it just dont run right like 3,4,5 it had no power, so today took plugs out all were sutty except for 2 and 4 2 had some gas/oil but not sutty and 4 looked clean as it did when i put it in. But I checked them and they are getting fire, checked the fuel injectors and they are working. The only diff. is on #4 inj the 3 digit number in corner is different than all the rest. Can I change the hats on them or do I need to buy new inj cause some are cracked. But anyways anyone know what my problem could be
Old 10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Well my car when i first bought it would not rev over 2k with out loud popping noises

got a new fuel pump most of the issue solved but i still often got hesititation and popping noises when i was easy on the throttle, when it happeend id give teh car some juice and it'd pop really loud and take off...

i tried an after market FPR thinking the stocker was no good, problem not solved

so im thinking maybe the spark plugs, pulled em, and they had some grime on them so i cleaned them off and havn't had the problem since...

now i have a whistling noise under heavy acceleration, sounds like metal grinding on metal but i can't figure this one out, i am lost with it... especiall second gear pulls where im in the gear for a while oooommmgggg **** is so annoying...only happens after a certain rpm like 2.5kish
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Hunting Idle
Hesistation
Power Loss
Rpm Issues
etc

Ive found that modifications can cause this, some are :

Bigger MAF, Injectors not needed.

Offroad exhaust(too little backpressure).

Camshaft replacement( cam not degreed, or the ramp rates are slightly agressive).

Intake manifold not properly torqued in steps and sequence pattern variability.-Follow the torque procedure to the teeth.

Cold Air Intake(pisses MAF Sensor Off).

A Few Mechanical Issues found:

Idle Air Motor Solenoid faulty- replacement needed.

Maf Dirty-Clean

Upper Intake Manifold Drain Bolt has lost its teflon coating on threads. Re-Seal

Egr Valve Gasket Cracked-Replace Gasket

Egr Valve Not Closing All The way, due to old age or gum up- Replace If you Cant Clean.

Egr Vacumn Selonoid Leaking Vacumn, remove the black top and cover it with your hand to Check.

If its mising, the line that goes to it has vacum, you cant hear, bu its there, plug it.

Threaded Pipe Fittings on Manifolds Lost Their Teflon Coating on threads Causing Leaks
- Re-Seal.

Intake Lower and Upper Bolts have lost their torque values on the bolts and loosened up- RTV and Torque In sequence and steps.

Purge Solenoid /SYSTEM DEFECTIVE-Replace.

Gas Tank Vent -Turned Orange from white, pull it out the top of gas tank to verify this and replace.

Gas Tank not venting, causing fuel volume flow issues(pressure will remain the same), check Vent Valve on Top of tank and or pinched lines.

Smashed gas lines from jacks and lifts, -repair.

Gas Tank installed improperly, kinking the lines above pump.

Fuel Tank Baffle Broken Inside Gas Tank-Repalce Gas Tank.

Pcv Valve/Screen, allowing excessive oil into the intake manifold-Replace and Mod.

Distributor Worn-Replace, look for whiteish build on the inside gound bar as well.

Electrical Issues Found:

Run a wire to the Negative battery Terminal on the Battery, No Corrosion etc/ for ground resistance checking.

Check Every Ground this car has for resistance.

Then do the same for 12+v wires making sure they are supposed to be getting power before you check.

Stock ground to engine block is very poor and too elongated to be considered effective.

Remove the entire wire, run new ground to AC Bracket Top Bolt, and another to the strut tower area.

Recheck Your ground resistance values, they should be better, if not replace or repair the ground wires.

Connector Wiring Pins HAVE LOST TENSION, REPAIR.

You will start to find that this car has alot of unforseen electrical gremlins.

Exhaust System Welding: technician failed to remove the negative terminal on your battery and fed your ecm and electrical components alot of noise. Refer him to an Automotive Training School.

AODE transmisson failures have occurred from this as well.[:'(], within 12 months.

ECM Performs as if its an old worn down motherboard.Send it out for Test/Upgrade and Repair, request a list of defects found.

These are a few issues, ive encountered personally.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 AM
suzukispeeder
1st Gear Member

well finally tore it down yesterday and figured it out. Bent intake valve on cyl. #2, and bent exhaust valve on #4. The only thing I didn't understand is that cyl #4 valves and combustion chambers looked like they had been washed compared to the rest of the cyls. I don't think a bent exhaust valve would cause this any ideas.

By the way thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Heres a dumb one, when driving i usually here loud poping noises from the passanger side front wheel area when i go over bumps or turn at slow speeds, i jacked to car up to look underneath and with no wieght on the front end i can move the pass side wheel left and right a little bit but not the drivers side without a lot of effort. So i def think something is wrong under there. Steering rack??? Any suggestions would help.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 PM
fordracing1122
2nd Gear Member

What does Ect Stand for and also Act?

i am having a hell of a time with my car right now and i have a Pro-M mass air meter that i think is messin stuff up. im gonna swap back to my stock mass air and see if that helps...

ORIGINAL: birdman076

I had all kinds of problems about a month after I got my stang. I was running rich, missing, part throttle hesitation, surging, and no power. I tried everything, I replaced the O2's, MAF, IAC, ECT, ACT, TPS, vacuum hoses, fuel pump, regulator, fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pick-up coil, coil, and checked for vacuum leaks. Heres how it all worked out:

O2's = helped with the running rich

MAF = shop told me it was bad and they couldn't scope the car but charged me the $80 for scoping anyways (didn't go back to that shop). It helped some with idle and driveability. I changed back to stock from the C&Hell POS.

IAC = was bad as well, shop told me that also, that helped with idle issues, car didn't surge so much anymore.

TPS = I did for grins, there was no change at all with this but now I have piece of mind there is a new one on the car.

ECT = Took care of the miss, hesitation, and poor running condition under load as well as idle.

ACT = Took care of hanging idle, my car would rev and stay at about 1200 for 5 seconds, then 1000 for 5 seconds then finally 800.

vacuum hoses = no change but they are silicone now so I won't have to worry bout them for a while

Fuel pump = again no change but it replaced the original pump

Fuel filter = No change but it was long overdue

Pick-up coil = No change, piece of mind

plugs, wires, cap, rotor = Idled better, pulled stronger, and better gas mileage.

Coil = No change I just tried another stocker I had laying around

I had no vacuum leaks either, I do however have low vacuum at idle but I have been told this is due to the X cam.
As of now the car is very driveable with the only problems still being running rich at idle ( not nearly as bad as it was) and when I start the car for the second time it sort of surges for a second or two then idles normal.

I feel that I need a PMS of some sort, and if your going to do it right that should be one of the earlier mods. The stock ECM is programmed for a 302ci motor with 225hp, and 300ft/lbs of torque, and bases all of the tables for fuel, timing, load, and driveability on this platform. It can learn to some extent but really I think it becomes a problem with any sort of H/C/I swap. But thats just my thoughts lol. Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

wow this thread is 2 and a half years old[&:]
Old 10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
fordracing1122
2nd Gear Member

JK i figured it out its engine coolant temperature and air charge temp... gonna replace them and see what happens

ORIGINAL: fordracing1122

What does Ect Stand for and also Act?

i am having a hell of a time with my car right now and i have a Pro-M mass air meter that i think is messin stuff up. im gonna swap back to my stock mass air and see if that helps...

ORIGINAL: birdman076

I had all kinds of problems about a month after I got my stang. I was running rich, missing, part throttle hesitation, surging, and no power. I tried everything, I replaced the O2's, MAF, IAC, ECT, ACT, TPS, vacuum hoses, fuel pump, regulator, fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pick-up coil, coil, and checked for vacuum leaks. Heres how it all worked out:

O2's = helped with the running rich

MAF = shop told me it was bad and they couldn't scope the car but charged me the $80 for scoping anyways (didn't go back to that shop). It helped some with idle and driveability. I changed back to stock from the C&Hell POS.

IAC = was bad as well, shop told me that also, that helped with idle issues, car didn't surge so much anymore.

TPS = I did for grins, there was no change at all with this but now I have piece of mind there is a new one on the car.

ECT = Took care of the miss, hesitation, and poor running condition under load as well as idle.

ACT = Took care of hanging idle, my car would rev and stay at about 1200 for 5 seconds, then 1000 for 5 seconds then finally 800.

vacuum hoses = no change but they are silicone now so I won't have to worry bout them for a while

Fuel pump = again no change but it replaced the original pump

Fuel filter = No change but it was long overdue

Pick-up coil = No change, piece of mind

plugs, wires, cap, rotor = Idled better, pulled stronger, and better gas mileage.

Coil = No change I just tried another stocker I had laying around

I had no vacuum leaks either, I do however have low vacuum at idle but I have been told this is due to the X cam.
As of now the car is very driveable with the only problems still being running rich at idle ( not nearly as bad as it was) and when I start the car for the second time it sort of surges for a second or two then idles normal.

I feel that I need a PMS of some sort, and if your going to do it right that should be one of the earlier mods. The stock ECM is programmed for a 302ci motor with 225hp, and 300ft/lbs of torque, and bases all of the tables for fuel, timing, load, and driveability on this platform. It can learn to some extent but really I think it becomes a problem with any sort of H/C/I swap. But thats just my thoughts lol. Hope this helps someone.