5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Forged 347 stroker

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Forged 347 stroker

AFR heads, 185 or 205cc.

Canfields are good, but much of the recent hype is creative marketing by particular groups of people.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
89mustangfever

She does have a job, its just that she is a waitress and dosent bring home a steady check. Cash everyday is good to have but when you go and try to get a loan, it i'll never happen.

I have to go to the bank on friday and see what kind of loan I can get. That will be the biggest driver. I will keep you all updated as i get more info.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

AFR heads, 185 or 205cc.

Canfields are good, but much of the recent hype is creative marketing by particular groups of people.
Based on? .....
Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
OVERK|LL

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

AFR heads, 185 or 205cc.

Based on? .....
Why heresy and rhetoric of course, didn't you know it's the new black?

I'm sure it's based on his extensive testing of Canfield heads on both flow benches and engine dyno's as well as back to back runs on the race track in a competitive comparison with other heads. Otherwise, this would just be an un-founded opinion based on tripe and nonsense...........
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
jmyler

ORIGINAL: mjr46

1. canfield 190's if you have hopes of 400 rwhp
2. up the injectors to 30lbs for use of NOS
3. comps xe series are good OTS cams and in recent mustang mags the xe274 and 282 have been used extensively in strokers and produce good numbers...I gots the 282 in my soon to be in 347
4.ditch the bbk ssi...= craptastic intake...go with a holley system max II or trick flow r series or edelbrock rpm II
5. a good dyno tune
do all these a 400 rwhp will bea realistic potential/possible goal
6. and get at least a 3000+ stall to launch the crap outta that car!!
Have to agree here, i have an xe 274hr cam in my 347 stroker and it's a beast. Aluminum heads all the regulars and i'm running 80+mph in the 1/8th
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
89mustangfever

Have you had the 347 rated on H/P?

Update!!!
The wifes vehicle is not toast. Found that the oil filter(FRAM) had a bad gasket. Thought it was a little odd because there was no oil on the filter, it would just run down the block.
I replaced theoiland filter eairlerthis week and so I though thatwould be a good first place to look. when I took thefilter off, I found that the gasket had a tear in it. It could have happened when I was putting it on, so I am not pointing any fingers atanyone.But we had already went and looked at vehicles this week, and she found one she liked. [sm=smiley23.gif] Hopefully she forgets all about it and in a few weeks I can order the engine. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Based on? .....
Joel,

That is based off cross section and combining it with flow potential.

The Canfield's mentioned up above (which I was comparing them too) are in the 2.26" range, while the AFR 185's are in the 2.25" range. The AFR heads have a better exhaust port.

Then throw in the AFR 205 heads cross section, and it is got a solid lead in power potential.

As far as saying the recent Canfield popularity has shot up, it is true.

Even just a few years ago, you just did not hear about them on forums or in "real life." They have been around for YEARS. It is not a new head that has made leaps and bounds, right?

They are a good head, but much of the popularity is due to recent marketing. Much like anything really...

Overkill - I find it ironic how one cannot say that a head is marketed good (which is taken as bad), but one can say how a particular head is good, without testing it theirself.

What do you think?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
OVERK|LL

I don't find that ironic at all. Canfield doesn't DO any marketing that I know of, so that completely negates your statement right there. And in regards to the second half of your statement, well that perfectly describes what you have done in this thread, telling people how a particular head is good, while having ZERO experience with the head you are comparing it to. In fact do you have any experience with ANY of the heads in this thread?

Do you own a flow bench?
Do you own an engine dyno?
Do you regularly TEST these components against each other on the strip using comparable combo's?

Unless you can answer YES to the above questions, then your OPINION on this subject is just that, an UNFOUNDED OPINION based on what you've read and THINK you know.

I am NOT qualified to recommend a head choice for a particular combo because I have LIMITED experience in this department. My understanding here is that you are even more so limited, yet continue to sit there and talk like you've built 5,000 combo's and know the ins and outs of cylinder head design, flow characteristics and what makes power.

I'm sure Jon Kaase would love to hear from you, why don't you pick up the phone and tell him about head flow and how to build race engines? After all, it would appear you are the "expert" on this subject.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Overkill - Your post seems like you are trying to impress some others, somewhere else. This is not my intention and I am not going to turn this into a war.

However, I have personally have seen you give head recommendations in other post on other forums from the past. Is that ironic?

Now, onto the questions you asked me. I do have some limited experience.

You have stated that I do not have experience, and I do a fair share of homework, for whatever that is worth. But, you will need to ask everyone else in this thread those same questions, to make this a fair judgement.

Do you own a flow bench?
Do you regularly TEST these components against each other on the strip using comparable combo's?

One thing, we could agree on is, would it not be great to have lots of money to actually OWN the tools, rather than use them

I prefer Darin Morgan, but that is just me.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
OVERK|LL

Overkill - Your post seems like you are trying to impress some others, somewhere else. This is not my intention and I am not going to turn this into a war.

However, I have personally have seen you give head recommendations in other post on other forums from the past. Is that ironic?

Now, onto the questions you asked me. I do have some limited experience.

You have stated that I do not have experience, and I do a fair share of homework, for whatever that is worth. But, you will need to ask everyone else in this thread those same questions, to make this a fair judgement.

Do you own a flow bench?

One thing, we could agree on is, would it not be great to have lots of money to actually OWN the tools, rather than use them

I prefer Darin Morgan, but that is just me.
You know what? I will completely own up to the fact that I HAVE recommended heads in the past. That was foolish, because I can only give SOLID advice on the heads I OWN, which are GT40's. And I know how well they work.

I am guilty of being an "Internet Expert" in the past on certain things, and that was one of them. I've done lots of research too, that involves a lot of reading, and thought, but I've come to the conclusion that all the reading in the world on topics associated with engine building does not hold a candle to actually experiencing this stuff in real life, so I will leave the recommendation of components to people who have actually compared them in the "real world" rather than simply tables of numbers and choosing the ones that "look" better on paper.

I DO however do my own engine and car work, and when I have a question about something critical, I will ask somebody that I know KNOWS the answer, rather than just making a post on the subject and hoping somebody does.

The Internet is a great medium for information exchange. Unfortunately, unless you know the credibility/reputation of the person or people you are getting advice from, the results could be as bad or worse than if you just guessed. It is a very, VERY small percentile of people on these forums who are qualified to give COMPARATIVE advice on cylinder heads. It's fine to say "I've used X and X heads and they worked really well" but giving comparative data like you are a cylinder head engineer or do fluid dynamics for a living falls into the "expert" category, and I'm sorry, but that's not most people on here, and that's not me, and that's not you.

Yet the way you've presented the information, somebody who doesn't know any better may end up thinking that you have real world experience comparing these heads and actually know what you are talking about; That you ARE an "expert" on this topic. But this isn't the case is it? You've done reading, you know the terminology, but you don't actually KNOW which head is better because you've never REALLY compared them.

And that's what I'm getting at here.

You've made a blanket statement in regards to Canfield heads without any real world data to back it up. You've done the same for AFR. You are not qualified to make these statements, as even you have alluded to above by using your "I've done my homework" statement, implying that the comparisons you have done are of the paper-only type.

If you have experience with a given head, give your input. If you do NOT have experience with a head, and your information on them is purely 3rd party heresy, then please, keep that information to yourself, because it's not FACTUAL.

It's possible to say "I like Ford" without saying "I hate General Motors". And it's possible to give your input on one cylinder head that you have experience with without giving an unfounded negative view on other heads of which your experience with is non existent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forged 347 stroker