5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fanless

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

Default fanless

just got my new wp all settled in and no leaks and i was going to put an electric fan on the car so i left the mechanical fan off. drove around town some and noticed the temps were about the same as they always are. now it's about 70 degrees here and i'm wondering do i really need a fan if the car's not going to encounter stop and go traffic hardly or traffic jams if ever. the car will end up being more of a road course type of car come the spring time and during next winter i plan on dropping in a warmed over small block. invest in the fan or not?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM
88sirneedsalot
1st Gear Member

Default RE: fanless

if your gunna race it yes u will want a fan it will get Hot.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

I would get an electric fan and run to a toggle switch in your car. That way it's there if/when you need it. Better to have it and need it, then need it and not have it. With the switch you can run the fan at your discretion. If your car seems to be running good without a fan at all, maybe go to EBAY and get a Black Magic Fan, there small and wont take up alot of room and should be good for what your gonna do. Wouldn't recommend on adaily driver, I have one and deal with traffic daily andit runs almost constantly, but it gets pretty dang hot here in summer.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Come March/April you will need a fan
Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

fan it is. electric. we get hot here too. as hot as tx with more humidity. thanks. better to have and not need than need and not have. figured with constant air moving through on the course i'd get enough cooling like that.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

You will need a fan eventually. I have a hi/low switch in car to operate fans. I run a big northern rad with dual fans and in the summer time i have to use them sometimes. The fans are awesome though, when it creeps up to about 180, i turn the fans off and the temp drops fast.