5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Air Filter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default Air Filter.

I have poked around but couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I know that if you use the square k&n air filter in the foxes with the air silencer removed you basically have a cold air intake. However my question is this.

What filters air the best, and gives the best hp gains. A cone filter, or a square filter in the stock housing.

Im sure it doesnt matter either way, but I am going to grab a new air filter and was just wondering what you would all recommend. I do NOT have a cai, just the stock housing with the air silencer removed and currently a fram filter.

Tomorrow im changing my alternator and my oil, so i figured i might as well do the air filter too. Weather permitting that is.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 AM
splash21
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Air Filter.

well with the stock air intake its not going to matter all that much. you can get pretty good deals on CAIs that come with a pretty good filter. if you want a gain out of it go aftermarket if you were planning on stayin with the stocker its not a big deal either way
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

I agree with you, i was just curious if a cone filter would give more gains then a square filter in the box with the stock tubing. Im probably gonna get a cheap ebay kit and then a k&n air filter, but i was just curious so i figured i would ask.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I honestly don't think you're gonna feel any gain from installing an air filter, which ever one you end up choosing. In the end, it's all up to the bling factor. I got agood deal on a drop in K&N (15 bux) so I took out the air silencer and put in the filter in the oe air box of my wifes stang.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

oh im sure i wont feel a difference, infact im almost positive i wont, however i know my car pretty well and can feel certain things, but an air filter i doubt it =P. It was just one of those curious things rollin around in my head, which would be better cone or square lol.

I believe i need a new air filter because i currently have a fram, so im gonna grab a square k&n, although for a little more i could have a cai, so maybe i will grab a cai. i just dont know if i can see myself spending that much for a cai or an air filter. I dunno.

Goal for today though is to get the new alternator in and change the oil, after that we will do the air filter and fuel filter. How often is the fuel filter supposed to be changed?

Ive got about 900bucks to blow on the car and have NO idea what to get. Its a 91gt auto as most of you know.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

oh im sure i wont feel a difference, infact im almost positive i wont, however i know my car pretty well and can feel certain things, but an air filter i doubt it =P. It was just one of those curious things rollin around in my head, which would be better cone or square lol.

I believe i need a new air filter because i currently have a fram, so im gonna grab a square k&n, although for a little more i could have a cai, so maybe i will grab a cai. i just dont know if i can see myself spending that much for a cai or an air filter. I dunno.

Goal for today though is to get the new alternator in and change the oil, after that we will do the air filter and fuel filter. How often is the fuel filter supposed to be changed?

Ive got about 900bucks to blow on the car and have NO idea what to get. Its a 91gt auto as most of you know.
What is done to it so far?

Fuel filter, about every 30K or so although most ppl go a lot longer than that.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you plan to do future upgrades then go for a cai as it'll be more benificial to other hp upgrades and will free up some potential space you may need later on
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

bernie so far the car is mainly stock, its got an electric fan, under drive pullies, magnaflow exhaust, stock headers/hpipe. However i have done just about all the "maintence" i could think of. Now im ready for modding =D. I think i will go with an ebay cai and a k&n filter.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

IMPO, I would stick with the factory box and just throw in a drop in filter...

I personally don't like the metal tubes from any CAI, becausy they can get very hot from the underhood temps and they end up heatng the air going in... so it kindof defeats the purpose...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

bernie so far the car is mainly stock, its got an electric fan, under drive pullies, magnaflow exhaust, stock headers/hpipe. However i have done just about all the "maintence" i could think of. Now im ready for modding =D. I think i will go with an ebay cai and a k&n filter.
OK, it's an auto so slap some 4.10's in there and really wake that car up!!!!

Quick Reply: Air Filter.