5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

87 5.0 horsepower question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
93nitrousLX

Default 87 5.0 horsepower question.

if I read things right the 87 5.0 was about 225 hp..... stock.

pull intake and all associated equipment toss it

Drop on edlebrock torker 289 intake with a holley 650 sitting on top What if any HP gain would there be?

Long tube headers? Hp gain if any? (I have heard with stock heads there is no need for long tubes but they were on the car already)

B 303 cam? any performance increase?

New heads will be forth coming but that will be later this year.

MSD 6AL ignition.

Also short block is all forged pistons etc...

Im looking to put this car at about 325 - 350 hp on motor then 125 - 150 shot of nitrous to hit in the neighborhood of 475 hp....

Thanks

W
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 87 5.0 horsepower question.

ORIGINAL: 93nitrousLX

if I read things right the 87 5.0 was about 225 hp..... stock.

pull intake and all associated equipment toss it

Drop on edlebrock torker 289 intake with a holley 650 sitting on top What if any HP gain would there be?

Long tube headers? Hp gain if any? (I have heard with stock heads there is no need for long tubes but they were on the car already)

B 303 cam? any performance increase?

New heads will be forth coming but that will be later this year.

MSD 6AL ignition.

Also short block is all forged pistons etc...

Im looking to put this car at about 325 - 350 hp on motor then 125 - 150 shot of nitrous to hit in the neighborhood of 475 hp....

Thanks

W
the torquer intake is old school although decent....it's much better and slightly larger runnered companion is the victor jr = better....but personally if your running a 302/306.....you'd be better off with a rpm intake to make power low and mid where the 302 needs it..as for cam..b is old school..go with a dual pattern cam and match all valvetrain hardware to cam specs and get a decent set of aluminum heads like 185's afr or canfield and correct pistons with adequate valve reliefs to accomadate 2.02 valves or fly cut pistons......then use long tube headers, roller rockers...and free up any accessories that cause drag like go elec cooling fan and maybe a elec water pump, have any and all supporting mods like full exhaust and gears and have rotating assembley balanced and then you'll be close to 325 rwhp...I did all such things to my 85 gt and ran 12.20's @111.59 all motor and my guess at rwhp was about 325 to 340....but I also up'ed compression to 11 to 1 with .200 dome pistons....it'll take a good bit to squeeze your goal out of a 302......347 would be alot easier to do more with
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

dont get rid of efi!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
93nitrousLX

efi is long gone... this is a 93 car with an 87 engine (for the forged pistons and such) I like a carb'd engine.. just my personal preference... plus I can work on it with no issues... Currently it is setup as above with logn tubes H pipe and some crappy thrush mufflers MSD 6AL ignition everything eliminated from the belt train. (including at the moment the power steering but that is going back on, as it still has the power rack. All was removed before I got the car) Electric fan. Eventually it will be a turbo car... but for now I just want to get as much out of it as I can.... I thought about changing the intake but I have the edlebrock now if someon has one they would trade me straight up for an ROM then I would talk lol......I have a fresh setof E7 heads (I think they are, cant remember right now) that will go on there... just trying to make use of what I have without spending more money on it for now... Have to build the toy fund back up....

Thanks for the input....

W
Old 01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

+1 dont get rid of EFI...who cares year of the motor keep the EFI
Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
mmm rice
1st Gear Member

In order to get 350 at the wheels on motor your going to have to go higher comp and alot of porting and rev very high, or go stroker.(also very lucky)
300 at wheels is the magic number n/a
Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Stroked91
2nd Gear Member

i run a carbed car and i have no problems at all with it
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 93nitrousLX

efi is long gone... this is a 93 car with an 87 engine (for the forged pistons and such) I like a carb'd engine.. just my personal preference... plus I can work on it with no issues... Currently it is setup as above with logn tubes H pipe and some crappy thrush mufflers MSD 6AL ignition everything eliminated from the belt train. (including at the moment the power steering but that is going back on, as it still has the power rack. All was removed before I got the car) Electric fan. Eventually it will be a turbo car... but for now I just want to get as much out of it as I can.... I thought about changing the intake but I have the edlebrock now if someon has one they would trade me straight up for an ROM then I would talk lol......I have a fresh setof E7 heads (I think they are, cant remember right now) that will go on there... just trying to make use of what I have without spending more money on it for now... Have to build the toy fund back up....

Thanks for the input....

W
well if that's what you gotta use due to funds..it's understandable..like they say money doesn't grow on trees but it's what makes the world turn...but you obviously know with what you listed above you won't hit even cloce to 300 HPN/A
Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
jmyler

Yea i don't think those guys are saying carb'd cars have problems they just like EFI. I myself love the simplicity and old school appeal of the carb. I might get another mustang with EFI in the future,but i would never ditch my carb to put it on my car.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
93nitrousLX

yeah I know... no issues... I like the simplicity and old school carb'd...... and yeah I hear ya... more upgrades to come down the road.. had a set amt to spend... stopping there and will get other parts as funds come available.. lol..... it is an addictive hobby... lol...... in the up coming year will be nice ported heads and likely a different cam.... some other stuff for sure... not exactly sure yet... then will come a stroker kit... most likely a 331 over the 347 heard good and bad about the 347 but more bad then good...

There are people on both sides of the carb vs efi... My buddy runs nothing but carb'd and all his friends too... (one guy is nitrous fed from start to finish, and he is Turbo with a blow through carb on a 351....) I kind of want to stay wiht the 302 block... and I dont want to go with the stroke of the 347 would love the cubes but dont think the stock block can handle it all that well..... and I would be happy with 300 from the motor and 150 shot..... that will work for now... lol

Thanks guys for the input...

W

Quick Reply: 87 5.0 horsepower question.