5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tuning???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default Tuning???

Is it completely necessary to go toa dyno tune place to get my car tuned, or can i do it myself with one of those handheld programmers???

I'm trying to see if its worth the $500+/- for the dyno tune. I'm about to get that crane HI-6s ignition box kit from summit, and wondering if i should put that aside and get a dyno tune
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tuning???

bump
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If your talking about one of those cheap hand held generic tuners like that ask you questions as to what gears and what gas and other cheesey nonsense then save your money......a custom tuner like a tweecer or any decent PMS.....that uses a laptop to tune is the way to go..but they require indepth understanding of all the different tuning tables.....a dyno tune is your other option cause they will burn a chip to your specific application and adjust the fuel and spark tables in accordance to the neccessary rpm range
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Go to a dyno def. its worth the money if you want the most out of what you got.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
bouchermb
4th Gear Member

It depends on your mods. I've got a 347 stroker with a 5 psi SC, so I'm tuning mine with a MSD BTM, using the FMU,and going to a chasis dyno to dial in the timing. You just get the car at WOT and put a timing light on it. If I had more boost I'd go with the full blown tune, chip, etc., but when I got it tuned the first time prior to the complete engine swap, when I installed the SC, they didn't do much at all.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
bouchermb
4th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong though, if you want to air on the side of caution, a tune is never a bad idea. If I go to a smaller pulley set up and up the boost, I'll get a chip burned.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 AM
TripleJay22
2nd Gear Member

yeah i had my car dyno tuned and it seemed to make a difference, i already had an upgraded ecu from my own tuning but they set it up so that it can adjust itself for what gas is put into the car as far as how hard it is ran, or so they told me but it seems to work good and change from what gas i put in, but it also costs quite a bit of $$$, but thats also here in seattle, everything costs a lot of money in seattle
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
bouchermb
4th Gear Member

It's not a bad idea and considering how much money goes into building an engine, it's a nice insurance policy.

I'm having a guy who has a ton of experience building motors, including one's with boost, dial it in with the BTM, and if he weren't positive this will work fine with the set up I have, I would have gone the full blown dyno tune/chip route.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I was in the same situation, here is Sarasota a dyno tune is abit over a grand, stupid expensive to me considering you can buy a tweecer rt, a wideband 02, and enough moates gear to burn a chip for that kind of money, here is the numbers:

1 tweecer rt - 550
2 wideband - 200
3 moates gear - 165.00

Add in EA and BE for around another 100 and your grand total is 1015(abit over a grand), however you will need to spend quite abit of time reading and studying to do the tune well. I asked a lot of questions and some very patient people online helped, it really is not that bad and when you are done and love the way your car runs, you can sell the tweecer for almost what you paid for it unless like me, you become somewhat addicted to tuning.

Matt

p.s. I have not tried it yet but apparantly you can datalog with the tweecer and run that log throughEA and it will make suggestions on what you need to change, neat eh?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
bouchermb
4th Gear Member

If I increase the boost, that will probably be my next purchase, but based on where I am now, I'm told by a guy who knows Mustang's and engine builds better than anyone I've ever come across, that a dyno tune is overkill.

Something else to keep in mind is that if you keep continuing with mods, if you learn how to use the software, that will pay for itself in short order.,

Quick Reply: Tuning???