MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   injectors causing idle issues??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/391775-injectors-causing-idle-issues.html)

telsonman 01-09-2008 04:02 PM

injectors causing idle issues???

I was at a tuner shop today getting a quote, and I mentioned to the guy that my idle was a little screwy until i dropped my fuel pressure. He noticed that I had 24lb injectors, and said that my idle might have been messed up because of too much fuel going in from the bigger injectors, and advised that i go back to 19lbers.

does anyone here have any insight on this???

FivePointOhh 01-09-2008 04:06 PM

RE: injectors causing idle issues???

what size injectors is your maf for? 24's or 19's?

telsonman 01-09-2008 04:48 PM

its a c&l with a 24 tube in it, so 24s

Scout2232 01-09-2008 06:08 PM

So what you are saying, is that the tuner shop you are going to wants you to swap smaller injectors instead of taking out fuel in the fuel/timing tables in this fantastic tune he's supposed to set you up with? Soundsalmostlazy to me. You have HCI and all the bolt ons,usually that will call for 24's. I would stick with the 24's anyway and maybe look into a different shop.

My dyno tune seemed so great at first, but the more I drove it the more I was seeing stuff I didn't like, especially for the money I paid.

telsonman 01-09-2008 08:09 PM

well, he was just saying that too big of injectors might cause idling problems, thats it. He was telling me to do anything. He said he would tune it with 24s if i wanted. We were talking about idle stuff, and he said to throw the 19s on and see what happens. It was strictly an idle conversation. It had nothing to do with the tuning. I was just curious to know the validity of it.

Novipowered5.0 01-09-2008 08:36 PM

Did you have the same C&L with the 19lber with the 19lb sample tube?
If so, how did it idle then?
If he's stating you may be better off with the 19lb injectors at idle I wonder if he knows they may be over 85% duty cycle up top.
There are forced induction engines running 42s but don't need them until boost comes on from the mid to the top.
The tuner maps the tune so they are no too rich at idle and when not under boost.
If it were meIwould find another tuner.

telsonman 01-09-2008 09:04 PM

yeah, when my 19s were in i had the 19lb tube in the maf. The main idle problem i'm having is that my idle is hanging whenever i shift into neutral, or if i'm already in neutral and just rev it up. It hangs around 1400 for a couple seconds. Also, whenever I'm shifting and push the clutch in, my RPMs raise up. Its just annoying.

I had to set my idle at about 1100, because whenever i had it at 900 or so and cut if off, it would crank then die. That I'm still confused on, so I bumped it up and it worked out fine.

I know my EGR isn't working though. But that shouldnt cause a hanging idle or that surge when i'm shifting.

87WSP5.0 01-11-2008 11:51 AM

I just did a MAF conversion on my 87 and it dose the same thing. When ever im driving and shift the rpms hang. The idle is kind of rough and tip in throttle around 1600 rpms is jerky. I also have a 76mm C&L meter. I have tried rotating the meter and adjusting the fuel pressure but had no luck.