5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal '93 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear main seal '93 GT

Topic should read "Rear main seal '93 GT and Murphy's Law..." That b*stard already bent me over three times last month with the car and I think it just happened again.

I was washing the car today and when putting all the stuff away I noticed in the driveway a pretty decent sized (maybe spread out a little smaller than a softball) oil stain. I just got the car back from getting the clutch done and tranny rebuilt, and had the rear main done at the same time (the guy kind of threw in the labor since he was in the area, well we came to an agreement). It was a FRPP one piece seal that came with my clutch kit, and my old one had a small leak to it (it was kind of fickle, but obviously the time to take care of it). Now the new one appears to have leaked the amount I said prior...overnight-which is A LOT.

I didn't notice any leaks the past 2-3 days just looking casually at the driveway. I crawled under the car but will have to look again tomorrow with better light, I just saw normal seepage on the pan. No recent oil change or switch to synthetics-10W30 is in the car now.

So I think I am pretty much screwed. I had my ups and downs with this shop owner, and it's my understanding that the tranny and the clutch have to be R&R'd again to do this, and I supplied the clutch kit so he's probably not going to stand behind it for that reason. The seal was a brand new Ford part and looked fine in the box.

Well here comes to my question is there any set time on these? Or is it pretty much like I am thinking, leaks now, always will... Also, I think it is on a different engine with a two piece seal (351 I think), but isn't there some sort of "rope trick" to prevent doing all that labor, and if so what has to be done/can this be done on a 5.0.

This is unbelieveable...Thanks for any info
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
usermst9673
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal '93 GT

I may suggest you try to use a rear main seal repair sleeve when changing the rear main seals it prevents the reoccuring leaks. I found this out on my 5.0 f150 when i changed the seal. A very knowledgable friend of mine informed me of it. Autozone sells them for like 14 dollars.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

never heard of that, has anyone else? what does it just fit around it or something?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

he means that the seal over time wears a grove in the crankshaft so the seal doesn't maintain the proper tension on a true surface anymore....so befroe you flame the shop tech or owner for shotty work....understand that it's not their fault if that's the case.. the sleeve taps over the crankshaft end and creates a new ture surface for the seal to ride on... also make sure that a rear intake seal or valve covers are not the culprit of running down causing a misdiagnosis of the orgin of the oil leak
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

50Stocker;This is the sleeve that usermst9673 and mjr46 are talking about.

Sleeve

Installation tool

Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I am going to look at the rest of the system tomorrow. I wasn't trying to flame the shop. I am not looking for something for nothing, if fact I am over generous in this matter dropping of cases of beer when we had delays, and upon completion giving them some cash on the side for the owner to take tecs out to lunch etc. In this matter, I just had expectations of a seal is a seal and it should go together right. If it is wear and tear, it is wear and tear, I do not place fault in them for that or numerous things on this taking second try. I would think that with 70 k originalmiles on an 5.0 motor that thatshould be less of a problem.

Mjr46 I know you hear this sh*t ever day (that wasn't there before the accident, that happened here, you OWE me this and all the tea in China) and I used to as well when I worked on the body side. But I am sick of this sh*t already- I can't catch a break.I don't know how you work on cars all day and then come home and deal with your own, let alone and answer everyone's questions on the forums.

My prior experience ruined my passion for me in a working sense. I have since come up with that you have to have two things that you love/really like in life, and to do the second for employment, b/c it will ruin the first.

You must truly love the hobby! Thanks for chiming in...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Almost stock: thanks a lot for posting that!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

No problem, just trying to help like everyone else.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I mentioned this on another thread... The flywheel bolts must have sealant on them. The holes they thread into on the end of the crank go all the way through to the crankcase and will leak if sealant isn't used on the threads. The crank shaft sleeve is a good idea, but DON'T forget the sealant on the flywheel bolts!!!