5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HOLY SH*T no lights > Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Default HOLY SH*T no lights > Need help ASAP

WOW, what a night. Driving home from dinner, and BAM everything shuts off except the engine. Ya it was dark and I was stuck with no lights. Nothing will turn on except my hazards. No Dash Lights, No radio, no headlights, no brake lights. Pretty stressed about it so any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I blew a fuse somewhere, I checked the box under the dash and had none that were blown. Is there an main inline fuse somewhere? Any help to were to look, or diagrams would be GREATLY appreciated. I am pretty new to hot rodding and definatley not a pro at wireing.

Freaked out the girlfriend, it was crazy. Glad we made it home safe.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: HOLY SH*T no lights > Need help ASAP

Here ya go

[IMG]local://upfiles/29779/DACE11D3ED894E949B8A45630996E334.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man, I have a Haynes book that has it broke down a little more than that, I see no inline fuses. Stumped, no burnt or broken fuses. ??
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you don't have a blown fuse ..what happens in the gt models with fog lights if you were using them at the time is the system was not properly designed to carry the extra current the fog light circuit places on the headlamp circuit so it ends up shorting the whole system out...to be sure you can trace the wiring on the fogs and headlamps to see if any melted wires are there and or melted connections going into the headlamo switch and or fuse box... there was a TSB on this I believe from ford
Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

YaI read the fog-light article or fix. I currently don't have any fog lights on the vehicle. TSB?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tsb = technical service bulletin...............so go grab your test light now and check all the power and grounds going into the multi-function switch if power and grounds to switch are good and fuses are good ..it's a bad switch
Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

I'll start there, thanks for being around and giving some input. Main Light Switch (Dash) im assuming. Where is the Multi Function Switch "usually" located?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

multi function/dimmer switch is the turn signal switch or the one you push forward for high beams.....the dimmer switch I have seen fail way more often than a headlight switch
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm, thanks again. Going to do some digging tonight. See what I can find.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

just a little random thing im going to through out there since i read this. I was once the owner of a 300zx turbo *i know i know i was young and stupid =P*, anyways i was driving on a country road at around 55 or so and my lights went completely out, on my left as i was slowing down I passed a deer that had stopped. If my lights would not have went out, I would have hit that deer. After I passed the deer, they came right back on and I never had that issue again.

Really kinda freaky, and I am sure it was some electrical issue that I only noticed once. Had that car until it through a rod at full boost. Was kinda a fun car.

Quick Reply: HOLY SH*T no lights > Need help ASAP