5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

warmer than usual.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default warmer than usual.

hmm hey guys..

for some reason the car gets warmer than usual a lot faster than it used to. only thing i did before that happened was wash out the air filter and put it back on, and before that i used the AC a little. i dont know if either of these is the cause. i know that the dirty maf i cleaned was responsible for my bad gas mileage in my other post and a small power loss.

but the engine getting really warm is weird, it never happened before.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: warmer than usual.

It's possible that the thermostat decided to get sticky. The other thing is that with the condensor for the A/C sitting in front of the radiator that would cause a little more heat but the fan and thermostat should take care of it. If your relying on the factory gauge then I really wouldn't worry unless it is going up quite high. Have the outside temps changed where you are...I ask since you mentioned you have used the A/C a little...as in recently.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

yes i live in florida and the past few days it went from cool to hot. but i dont think that has a lot to do with it, even on a hot day the engine would run cooler with the fan on. i dont think the thermostat is sticking because i can see the engine temp shoot up to the midlevel then fall back down really fast as soon as the stat opens, so i know that is working. its just that before the temp would never shoot up to mid level ever, it got quarter way at most and then shoot back down. i dont know why it is different now.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Well if sounds like you are going by the factory gauge. Mine does the exact same thing occasionally. At first warm up the needle will go up between the r and the m on the guage and then when the therm opens it drops back to the n. I have a 180 degree therm. I wouldn't worry about it. I would check the coolant level though just to be safe. If you are still concerned with the temp have a tech or someone hit the upper hose with a non-contact thermometer to measure the temp. I think the factory gauge is ok but it's not dead nuts accurate.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

no its not the temp im worried about. the temp itself is fine but its WARMER than it was before. the change in temp is what worries me, why is the engine running warmer is what im trying to figure out.

and there has been a slight power decrease still, i dont know what the hell the problem is lol...
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

How's the oil pressure. Running warmer, less power...sounds like friction...maybe.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

It realy sounds like the T-STAT is acting up since you can see a temp drop on your gauge when it oppens . It drops fast right . their olny 2 bucks and this time of year should chang collant aney way right

Did you check your timming that will warm you up a little if it's out
Old 03-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fats429

It realy sounds like the T-STAT is acting up since you can see a temp drop on your gauge when it oppens . It drops fast right . their olny 2 bucks and this time of year should chang collant aney way right

Did you check your timming that will warm you up a little if it's out
T stat is a new Mr gasket 180.

oil level seemed on par.

havent checked timing, but i dont hear knocking...

should i still check it?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

i just thought of something,

remember how when i changed my intake manifold i told yall how a lot of debris fell in the lifter valley and i had a hard time getting it all out. well do you think that the small debris particles clogged up my oil filter and is causing my oil flow to be starved a lil?

i may be wrong, what do yall think?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:19 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Ford cars like Ford thermostats, everything I've dealt with, nothing performs like a Ford thermostats, if you're pretty much bolt-on stock.

Quick Reply: warmer than usual.