5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump elimantation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:58 AM
87GT5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Smog pump elimantation

if you have your smog pump removed and dont have the lines plugged up would that effect how the car ran, and idled, i have mine off and my car is running funny
Old 04-07-2005, 01:20 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

yes it very well could
Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

i just removed mine there are two lines that go to each one of the heads, i just unbolted them and cut the line then welded them shut than just do the same with the line on the hpipe! only correct way to do it!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vertastang

i just removed mine there are two lines that go to each one of the heads, i just unbolted them and cut the line then welded them shut than just do the same with the line on the hpipe! only correct way to do it!
pretty much, or unbolt from the heads and replace with the right sized bolt and have no welded thing there
Old 04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

i was gona just put a bolt in it but its not threaded andu would still have to seal it some how, so i just did like i said above, was way easy! and looks good to, not like anyones going to see it!! lol
Old 04-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

so verta, is the issue resolved? Everything worked out ok?

I still need to take my smog pump off, I just excluded it with a shorter belt, mine was 82 inches. Anyway, just wondering if you've resolved this or not.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

not yet i just finished pluging the holes my whole motor is apart right now ill let you know this weekend when i put it back togather!! cant wait to Drive it!! its been a real long winter!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I was worried about that. Don't be so positive that you got the right belt size. I've seen cars with stock pulleys have varying belt sizes. An auto parts store told me that in their computer, they have three listings for my Mustang's belt size, one with factory installed a/c, one for dealer installed a/c, and one with no a/c.

The two different belt sizes for the two different a/c's have me worried that you only have a 50/50 chance that stanglx2002's belt size suggestion will work out for you.

Also, how did you end up routing your belt? Did you keep the stock route? Or did you route it differently, like in my illustration?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

IF that size does not work, do the rope method, or better yet, take your old belt, and actually route it around, making sure you're getting in all the grooves and all that, cut the belt where the excess ends up, and overlap them and make a mark on the belt where it overlaps to get the length you need. When doing this, have someone hold the tensioner up, and get the belt under the tensioner to make the mark, but make it a TINY little bit LONGER than that, if it's perfectly snug at the tensioner's highest position, you'll never get the belt on. Then go to the auto parts store and buy 3 belts, one for a tenth of a size below, one for the exact size, and one for a tenth of a size above your measurements. Go home, see which one fits, then return the rest.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:13 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

mine was a perfect fit at 83.5, i have a/c and stock pulleys i did the string method, then bought 82.5 and 83.5

Quick Reply: Smog pump elimantation