5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

well the job is done. the car runs and drives but thats about it. when i first started the car from the head swap everything was great. as the car began to warm up i started to hear a noise that sounds like a collapst lifter, only this will not go away. the noise is NOT there when its cold but makes a loud ticking that goes with the rpms when hot.

i have no idea what this could be!! i have shimmed the valves on my pedistal mount rockers. i have done this 3 times now with this car so i have a good idea of what to do but i have never ran into this persistant ticking before.

any help would be great!!
thanks
eric
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....

when you set the lifter preload, did you make sure the lifter was all the way down?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

You have pedestal mounts on AFR's? Hmm.

What he said ^^. Also, you can have problems from them being too tight. How did you adjust them?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

yep pedistal mount AFRs, they make em. i used my old shim set up from my gt40s which were two 20 thousanths shims making a total to 40 thousanths. i removed all the shims and replaced them with 35thousanths shims. the noise has decreased a ton but its still a bit noisy.

i torqued all bolts down to factory specs, i got the specs from my ford mechanic book i bought a while back ago.

it never made the noise before this persistantly before. im wondering if the lifters are bad, however, they are only 9 months old.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need to follow the manufactorer of the roller rockers spec that you are using..I assume you are using roller rockers??? what brand??
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Did you actually check lifter preload? Or did you just slap shims under the pedestals, torque it to spec and call it good?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i have proform, i think. they were on the cheaper side. at the time money was a big deal. they are 1.6 rockers. they should work fine seeing how AFR says that the heads are a bolt on deal.

i can still hear the noise, its more prominent than when i had gt40s but borderline just valve train noise.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i checked the preload. i did it by checking a couple of cylenders by making sure that the push rods can be twisted but not lifted up and down at all. however, the first time i shimed them i checked all cylenders. AFR says they will bolt to a stock 5.0 motor, well i have a stock cobra with a E cam.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol..proform roller rockers noisey??? naw never!!...heck I have a set on my 66 and I bought them cause they were the cheapest and mine are stud mount and they make more noise than any other rocker I 've owned....a friend of mine bought some scorpion roller rockers and they were bulky looking and I kind of laughed at them but after I installed them to my amazement they were the quietest roller rockers I have ever installed
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

lol..proform roller rockers noisey??? naw never!!...heck I have a set on my 66 and I bought them cause they were the cheapest and mine are stud mount and they make more noise than any other rocker I 've owned....a friend of mine bought some scorpion roller rockers and they were bulky looking and I kind of laughed at them but after I installed them to my amazement they were the quietest roller rockers I have ever installed
i know... proform. im not a big advocate of their products but when money is tight and the car needed to run, somethings gotta give.

well thats good to hear that they are very noisy.

one other thing i noticed was that the spacer like thing that is between the rocker and the shims was cracked very slightly on multiple cylenders. i put back my ford racing ones from my 1.72s.

Quick Reply: help! INSTALLED NEW AFRs but....