5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installing a Steeda #19 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Novipowered5.0
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Installing a Steeda #19 cam?

ORIGINAL: cgarray17

ok so i should be looking for a set of heads how much are they to get installed?
Is this car your DD?
Do you have a full set of tools?
H/C/I install is not a very difficult task if you have some skills, tools, a manual and obvious a connection to this site...which we know you have.
If you have these and it's not your DD this will be a good project for you.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
cgarray17
2nd Gear Member

It is my DD but it will be up for the winter so about another month or two and i have a good contact for tools and skill(my uncle is a big gear head with full car lift and a boat load of tools he has a Z28 that he has totaly rebuilt and has it pushing 650 to the wheels) i also have a service manual for the car so what do you think i should do, find some used heads and also get the cam or just wait and buy it all new? im a little sceptical about buying used heads but if you guys think they will be just as good as new then i trust you.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

actually im also worried about buying used heads. what should i look for if i find a pair.also you say used the cost about 200 bucks. all the ones that ive seen people want 500+ here in canada? where can i go to the states to get these better prices
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crocop

actually im also worried about buying used heads. what should i look for if i find a pair.also you say used the cost about 200 bucks. all the ones that ive seen people want 500+ here in canada? where can i go to the states to get these better prices
a pick and pull scrapyard, or try craigslist.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

I didn't read everyones responses to this because I just felt like typing and giving my 2 cents. Anyways the steeda #19 cam is great for the sn94-95. However it is very foolish to just change a cam and not do the heads and or intake. When you do the cam its going to cost about 500dollars. You will also want to change your timing chain, gaskets, etc. Its much easier to do an h/c/i all at once man. Besides just doing the cam alone, you wont notice a big difference. Doing that 1500dollar h/c/i and you will really notice a difference =P. As far as having a shop install it for you, if you havent done it, I personally would have a shop or someone locally that you know do it for you. A cam swap is pretty much straight forward, but if you dont know what your doing there will be some suprises in there for you. I wouldnt do it personally, but thats just me.

Good luck man.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cgarray17

I am going to be getting this cam because this is what everyone is recomending for a 94 gt, so my question is are they really hard to install and should i just have a shop do it, also how much have some of you payed to have a cam installed, and what kind of power will i see from this cam.
Thanks
i have a video that would help you out quite a bit
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

ya to swap in a cam you have to remove half of the stuff you would need to remove to swap heads and an intake anyways, do it all at once and save your self the time and effort
Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

I didn't read everyones responses to this because I just felt like typing and giving my 2 cents. Anyways the steeda #19 cam is great for the sn94-95. However it is very foolish to just change a cam and not do the heads and or intake. When you do the cam its going to cost about 500dollars. You will also want to change your timing chain, gaskets, etc. Its much easier to do an h/c/i all at once man. Besides just doing the cam alone, you wont notice a big difference. Doing that 1500dollar h/c/i and you will really notice a difference =P. As far as having a shop install it for you, if you havent done it, I personally would have a shop or someone locally that you know do it for you. A cam swap is pretty much straight forward, but if you dont know what your doing there will be some suprises in there for you. I wouldnt do it personally, but thats just me.

Good luck man.
i agree with the non bold but dissagree with the bolt^^^.

i did it by my self and im 21 and had the car for a year. i did not really know that much....but i do now. its a very strieght forward job like 92cobra said. however, there are a few quirks you need to know about and there are special ways of doing things.

like i said earlier, i have a how-to video that would benifit anyone who watched it. i have now done that 3 different times on my car and each time gets easier. plus this forum is FULL of knowlegable people that will help.

if you have any questions at all you can always pm me. go for it!!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Novipowered5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtecwho

plus this forum is FULL of knowlegable people that will help.

if you have any questions at all you can always pm me. go for it!!
Ditto.....
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I agree with Vtechwho, I had never done anything but minor bolt ons and with a little help from a friend i pulled my engine and tranny last year and did a head/cam swap and it came out 100%. You just have to know a lil about how it all works and it's very easy, just take your time with it and torque everything correctly and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Installing a Steeda #19 cam?