5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mustang Gt troubles....help me

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

Default mustang Gt troubles....help me

my 88 gt has some strange things happening....the first thing is that when i rev the car the check oil, fuel and the other 2 lights flash on and turn right off....anyone know what that might be????? the second problem is that the car blows back antifreeze and over heats but goes right back to normal temp, but it blow the antifreeze out like crazy...let me know what you guys think is happening here...thanks Steve
Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: mustang Gt troubles....help me

You may have a bad connection at the battery, starter relay, or block ground.
Your ignition switch may be going bad.

The overheating, change your thermostat. It may be in backwards.The spring side of the thermostat must face the engine. With the radiator drained down look at the core tubes inside of it, make sure they don't have crap growing on them restricting flow.
Was the water pump replaced recently when this problem started? Do you have the correct rotation pump? Is your fan clutch working properly? Is the outside of the radiator core clear so air passes?
Once you fill the radiator up leave the cap off and warm up the engine to get the thermostat to open, rev the motor up a little to purge out the air and top off. Close the radiator and add coolant to your reservoir if low. Recheck the radiator level after it has cooled off.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the correct approach to this situation is check all connections but since it only happens when you rev it up..I'd have the alt tested and see what the amperage output is...as for the coolant blowing out.....where does it blow out from???....does it do that when it starts to overheat??? rather than throw parts at it....when does it overheat?? sitting still?? driving down the road or just plain all the time????........based on when it overheats, you can narrow it down to a area in the cooling system fairly quickly......it may just have a bad radiator cap
Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

the car overheats when i first start to drive the car, about the normal time it takes for the car to warm up i would say, i also noticed that there is no heat until the temp comes back down to normal. if there was a leak in the water pump gasket would that cause the blow back? i changed the thermostat and the radiator cap already, and it still does it. i know 5.0s run best at 200degrees but i put a 160 stat in the car because i will be running my other cars supercharger on it.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

I'd check your battery cables first. If the problem persists take the car to Auto Zone and have them do an alt and battery test. I had a customer had that same problem turned out to be the alt wasn't putting enough power