5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fog Lights wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default Fog Lights wiring

Im thinking about putting fog lights on my GTS...anyone know how you would wire them or what you would wire them to to get them to work?...and also if for a switch for them would i have to take out the consoles in my car and run the wire through there to where one of my coin holders is and put the fog light switch in there like on GT's
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Fog Lights wiring

personally..I'd use the same switch that a gt has and put it where the factory had it to achieve the same look and then go buy a relay that handles at least 30 amps and wire the fog lights to that.. here is a basic diagram of wiring a typical relay
http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm
Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

It's possible your factory harness already has the provisions to connect fog lights.
Look for the plugs behind the bumper cover.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

ok so bassically i need to go buy a relay then hook it up to the battery and run a wire from the fog light itself to the center console in thar car where the gt has there switch? and thanks mjr46 for the diagram

Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes you can do that or look for the factory harness that may or may not already be theretry the easiest approach first
Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

ok ill do that...i didnt see the second post till after id already responded....and if it is alraedy there should there be a spot on it somewhere for me to hook a wire up and run it to the center console or would that be from the foglight itself?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if the wires are there they will already be run and you will see the connectors just sitting there usually tapped to the side of the harness running under the console.....and it should be just a plug ang install deal ..if the fog light circuit runs off of another circuit the fuse may already be in the fuse box and in the proper position but consult your manual and see which position in the fuse box harnesses the fog light fuse and if the spot is empty then put the proper fuse in when the time comes to light it up!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

so if it is there are you saying that there would already be a wire running to the center console? sorry your post kidn of confused me...or were you saying that i would plug the fogs into the plugs then run the wire from the fogs to the center console?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no i JUST meant that the wiring may already be there and all you have to do is plug in the end to the switch.....I assume there is no switch there right now..only a blind plate covering the option up??....same with out under the bumper ..look for plug ends that may be tapped to a harness in and or around where the fog lights are suppose to be..if there are..all you may have to do is just plug in the switch and your lights....if no harness ends exist then you'll be running all your own wiring
Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

ok sorry about that..yeah its a second coin holder right now but i can take that out and look either later this afternoon or tommorrow....whenever i get the car in the garage...thanks for the help...sorry for the confusion

Quick Reply: Fog Lights wiring