5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stall question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

Default Stall question

When you add a stall to your car say 3200 does it just help you on your launch or does it as well free up some horsepower?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stall question

I'm a little weak on my auto trans knowledge, but I believe whatis meant when you have a "3200 stall" TC (for example) is thatthe torque converter you have installed is set up so that it is fully locked at that RPM. What this means is that you can launch the car harder and more or less the same as if you were to launch a manual at that RPM, execpt you will be much more consistentsince it's harder to mess up a launch in an auto.

I don't know about freeing up hp but I heard that having a high stall car isn't very good for daily driving as the TC will be unlocked and slipping most of the time which will lead to increased wear and higher trans temps
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

You hit the gas, and when your car hits the set rpm's(which will be fairly quick) it will launch.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tylerl90

You hit the gas, and when your car hits the set rpm's(which will be fairly quick) it will launch.
No **** I am perfectly aware of that I know how a torque converter works but I asking if it frees up some horsepower. Someone told me that before but I dont understand how that could work.

and I'm not going to run a 3200 tc I'm undecided what I'm going to put on but I'll be getting a transcooler as well. Hell I might not each get a tc it all depends if I rebuild the motor or not
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangman94

ORIGINAL: tylerl90

No **** I am perfectly aware of that I know how a torque converter works but I asking if it frees up some horsepower. Someone told me that before but I dont understand how that could work.

and I'm not going to run a 3200 tc I'm undecided what I'm going to put on but I'll be getting a transcooler as well. Hell I might not each get a tc it all depends if I rebuild the motor or not
Pardon me..

I don't see how it'd free up horsepower when all it really does it cause worse transmission wear and heat.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if you go less than 3200 don't bother at all

a 2200 will feel stock, since you will get about 500 rpm less than advertised stall speed

a 3200 will flash roughly 2700-2800 so make sure you really shop well, and don't get a cheap one either or it will be worse. stick w/ lentech or precision
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

a 2200 will feel stock, since you will get about 500 rpm less than advertised stall speed

a 3200 will flash roughly 2700-2800 so make sure you really shop well, and don't get a cheap one either or it will be worse. stick w/ lentech or precision

+1.

A stall converter doesn't free up horsepower. It lets the motor build more rpms before locking the motor and tranny together, preferably in the motor's powerband(I know you said you already know this). Like nitrous_bob says, the converter will flash at a lower stall speed than advertised. It all depends on your motor (camshaft), gear ratio, and the weight of the vehicle it's trying to push. There's no such thing as buying an off the shelf converterthat will perform as advertised in every model in which it will fit. Best way is to contact the manufacturer, and give them your specs, and they can match up a converter for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

+1.

A stall converter doesn't free up horsepower. It lets the motor build more rpms before locking the motor and tranny together, preferably in the motor's powerband(I know you said you already know this). Like nitrous_bob says, the converter will flash at a lower stall speed than advertised. It all depends on your motor (camshaft), gear ratio, and the weight of the vehicle it's trying to push. There's no such thing as buying an off the shelf converterthat will perform as advertised in every model in which it will fit. Best way is to contact the manufacturer, and give them your specs, and they can match up a converter for you.
Thankyou will do I didnt know about them letting loose earlier then what they say.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

It won't free up HP. It will allow you to hold more rpm's at the starting line before the tires start spinning.
The biggest reason for having a stall converter is with a modified engine you can't idle low enough to keep it from stalling when you put it into gear. Also the stall speed will allow you to bring up your rpm's at the starting line before launching to get into the power range of your engine and cam.

Example: A cam that has a power range of 4500-7500. With a stock converter the car would fall flat on its face. With a 4500-5000 stall converter you could get your rpm's intoits power range and launch hard.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

A stall with reduce your 1/4 mile times, by at least .3 alone.

A stall matched up to the engine's camshaft and overal setup will produce optimal results.

You can make a car faster without horsepower, stall converter, gear ratio change, weight reduction and suspension modifications.

Quick Reply: Stall question