5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

gears question

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default gears question

so i just talked to the guy i bought my car from today that seems to know a lot about mustang (thats all he sells is mustangs and hes sold them for longer than ive been alive) and he told me that putting gears in my car will hurt my gas milage? and that it will also cause my car to seem like its getting more milage on it when its really not? so will it really hurt my gas milage and could i just get it calibrated so it wouldnt show more milage than it really had on it kind of like getting the speedometer recalibrated which im guessing id have to do if i get these
Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: gears question

just cause he sells them doesn't mean he knows all about the workings of them..if he knew as much as he thought then he'd know that after a gear swap all you need to do to correct the speedo accuracy is change the drive gear on the end of the speedo cable that enters the tranny case..as for gas milage..yeah you may loose little but it's all in the name of fun..and gears will wake the car up
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

the gas mileage is a tossup...depending on the ratio u go with has a lot to do ...some people will say that they put 4.10s in and theres either went up..or stayed the same...but theres the fact that its gonna feel a lot nicer when u punch it n ur gonna do that more often..thus killing gas mileage....the calibration yes depending on the ratio u put in can be fixed with a different speedo gear...little plastic gear that gets mounted to the side of the trans...if u get too high then you wont be able to get exactly the right ratio with a speedo gear..but there are electronic recalibrators that can calibrate 3.73 n 4.10 gears..i have one and after some tinkering got it to work right...all in all gears are a great sotp mod and i highly suggest them
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

well the guys helped me out a lot with the car so ive started to trust him and hes got a pretty nice yellow 95 gt of his own that hes done a ton to...and id be going with 3.73 but bassically im a high school student whose lucky that my parents are paying for my gas but if i put those on nad they did hurt my milage that would be the end of that...so i have another question headers wouldnt hurt my milage would they? and if they didnt how much gains over the stock exhaust would i have (the whole exhaust as this would be my final piece)
Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

headers shouldnt hurt mileage...the real killer to mileage is ur right foot...lighten that up n mileage goes up too lol..amazing how that works...
oh btw..i have 3.73s with a 5spd in my 94 and i havent taken it for a long trip yet..but my mileage is with in at least 1 or 2 mpg when i drive easy as what it was before with the stock 2.73s n auto
Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Headers will actually improve you milage. ANd yes gear usually kill gas milage. Because when youre just cruising along youre at a higher rpm, which ina v-8 = bad gas milage.

As for souping up your car. Wait on the gears. Get all the other HP goodies you want to get THEN get gears. Itll save you money in the long run. First things you shoudl do are chassis bracing, brakes, suspension then dig in to the motor. Get it to the HP level you want or like, then get gears. Youll notice that when you get around 320 RWHP, that even with factory gears youll be able to roast the tires as long as you want.
-P.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

well i might wait off on gears for a little bit until my parents forget about it...but right now i have 600 to spend on the car...so its either headers or wait and save to get it painted...but i kind of feel like finishing off the exhaust to get that done with...i think ive heard that that could cause problems with producing too much rear end torque or something like that? sorry not to great with all that stuff...but ill definitly be getting the gears sometime in the future but just have to wait a little bit for it to blow over and have my parents forget about it ....also anyone know anything else i could get for under 600 that would help performance but not really be anything that i couldnt really swap out from the car (in other words nothign like heads for the engine or stuff liek that) the cars decently rare as far as i can tell since its a GTS so im not sure how much i want to mess with it, which is also why im hesitant with the gears
Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roghoge

well i might wait off on gears for a little bit until my parents forget about it...but right now i have 600 to spend on the car...so its either headers or wait and save to get it painted...but i kind of feel like finishing off the exhaust to get that done with...i think ive heard that that could cause problems with producing too much rear end torque or something like that? sorry not to great with all that stuff...but ill definitly be getting the gears sometime in the future but just have to wait a little bit for it to blow over and have my parents forget about it ....also anyone know anything else i could get for under 600 that would help performance but not really be anything that i couldnt really swap out from the car (in other words nothign like heads for the engine or stuff liek that) the cars decently rare as far as i can tell since its a GTS so im not sure how much i want to mess with it, which is also why im hesitant with the gears

Sounds like the time for longtubes =D
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

+1 headers.
-P.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

nothing you can do will make you "feel" any more power for $600 but nitrous or gears

realistically you will drop about 2-3 mpg, if it is a 5-speed you can get in OD all around town and yes, you can see an improvement. an aod car should NEVER be in od in town, it will shift too much and burn your trans out pretty quick.

headers and full exhaust on a stock headed 5.0 will net you about 10 hp total.

don't get me wrong, the sound improvement alone is worth it but as far as hp....you get very little.

in terms of 1/4 mile, you will knock off apx 1 car length w/ the exhaust , gears will knock off close to 10 as will nitrous (jetted at 75-100)

the door tag will tell you what you have stock "ax"code m=2.73 z=3.08 e= 3.27 (aod's only)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gears question