5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI to Carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: EFI to Carb

ORIGINAL: onesickstang01

yea the intake, heads, cam. those are the biggest ones. port match intake and heads. get exhaust, tune the carb right and you are pushing some nice HP. much easier than EFI
you just turned me on to the carbed motors, looks like ima be rollin in a 4eyed fox
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
89gt347
1st Gear Member

if your just talking about a carbed v8 then really just manifold, heads, and cam. but if your talking about putting that engine into a vehicle that had efi then it depends on the car and what is controlled by the ecm. If you have a car with a trans that uses ecm info to tell it to shift then .... ?!(maybe someone else should chime in!!lol)there is alot ofinfothat the ecm uses from various parts of the car and when you take away one of those parts you effect the whole system.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Carbs are great for a lot of reasons. A properly tuned carb can produce excellent power and throttle response with decent mileage, and very good drivability. I'd have to say that 90% or greater of the issues that I hear people complaining about with carbs, are tuning issues. A poorly tuned carb will run like total crap, if it runs. Carb's advantages are only realised when properly tuned, and you need to know what you're doing with them. I wouldn't count on most tuners these days, since many of them don't know jack about carbs, and if they know anything, it's usually not enough to tune one properly. Finding a good carb tuner these days is very difficult to do. Once you understand how they work, and get familiar with your carb, tuning them is rather simple, but can take time to hammer out drivability and throttle response bugs, which is a pia at times. There are good books, and dvd's out now on how to tune carbs, plus plenty of us here have a bunch of knowledge on them to help out if you choose to go that route.

I know a lot of people who like carbs just for the simple reason of it clears up clutter in the engine bay. I'm a huge fan of less crap myself.

If you try to switch an EFI car to carb where the computer controls systems OTHER than the engine, such as traction control etc, then it's a whole other ball of wax that can be a major headache.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
hemi_04d
2nd Gear Member

So what about a 93, isn't the speedo electronic? Would going to a carb setup mess with that?

I just think the carb setup would be A LOT easier in the end. If you want to change anything over you don't have to worry about chips/tuners and all that good stuff. That and like you guys have said you don't have all the mess of the wires under the hood, makes things look alot nicer.

I plan on messing with it a bit more to see what I can figure out. Are there any good books on EFI. Maybe an EFI and tuning EFI for dummies?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hemi_04d

So what about a 93, isn't the speedo electronic? Would going to a carb setup mess with that?

I just think the carb setup would be A LOT easier in the end. If you want to change anything over you don't have to worry about chips/tuners and all that good stuff. That and like you guys have said you don't have all the mess of the wires under the hood, makes things look alot nicer.

I plan on messing with it a bit more to see what I can figure out. Are there any good books on EFI. Maybe an EFI and tuning EFI for dummies?
Nope....FYI, I have a customer SC SN95 project that had the AODE transmission, it currently has a C6, manual valve body-reverse pattern, transbrake (no electronic controls to worry about) and is just a matter of installing the VSS instead of the speedo cable housing. Everything works. Oh!...... and it will be going the carburetor route with the new engine, after we check how this EFI 302 SC setup does at the track.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

People that dont believe in Carbs, needs to know something.

TODAY'S CARBS, are built SOLID, durable and of revised error correcting internally, that the past Carb's designs have always haunted us.

What does that meen?

It means, when you buy a Aftermarket Quality Carb, it will carry similiar characteristics of a fuel injected car.

Gas wise, you might lose 2 mpg or gain.

Bad theories : cold start and idle issues, blah blah blah, are all false, and that 86 Camaro next to me, has been running the same original carb since 1986, with nothing but clean exhaust emmisions and a smooth idle of 700 rpm exact.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

For the record, I hate EFI to carb conversions.

Quit going the easy route...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
ram2sak

don't forget about the efi fuel pump. it'll push way too much pressure for a carb even if you put a regulator in
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ram2sak

don't forget about the efi fuel pump. it'll push way too much pressure for a carb even if you put a regulator in
Not if you set it right..... 15 yrs. running a Holley carb with the in-tank FP here.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:30 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

ORIGINAL: onesickstang01

yea the intake, heads, cam. those are the biggest ones. port match intake and heads. get exhaust, tune the carb right and you are pushing some nice HP. much easier than EFI
you just turned me on to the carbed motors, looks like ima be rollin in a 4eyed fox
see i took your advice and made a purchase!! cant wait to pick it up..its CLEAN rebuilt motor and fresh paint

Quick Reply: EFI to Carb