5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

World Products SB-Ford Windsor Jr Cast Iron Heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I have the World Windsor Sr/Roush 200 heads on my 306. I recently ran a 12.8 with these heads going through the traps at 6200 in 3rd gear. I jumped up to 4.56's out back now and hoping to get some much better passes this spring.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
What about the millions of engines with aluminum heads rolling off the assembly line daily? What about repairability? They are a fair head at best. They were GREAT in 1994
I just said they were a decent head. I like them where weight isn't an issue. Did I mention a freakin thing about not liking aluminum heads? The poster asked about these heads. I posted MY OPINION. You can repair most Iron heads if you know what your doing.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
I just said they were a decent head. I like them where weight isn't an issue. Did I mention a freakin thing about not liking aluminum heads? The poster asked about these heads. I posted MY OPINION. You can repair most Iron heads if you know what your doing.
No, but what does racking up miles have to do with an iron head? I know exactly what you were implying. When a dropped valve blows a hole in the chamber your not fixing anything, you know this.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

No, but what does racking up miles have to do with an iron head? I know exactly what you were implying. When a dropped valve blows a hole in the chamber your not fixing anything, you know this.
Again you read more into my post. I never said they could all be fixed. I hope you know what I'm thinking now
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Again you read more into my post. I never said they could all be fixed. I hope you know what I'm thinking now
Ok I was just curious because you said the same thing about an iron head and racking up miles in another post, simply implying aluminum heads wont go the distance an iron head does.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Ok I was just curious because you said the same thing about an iron head and racking up miles in another post, simply implying aluminum heads wont go the distance an iron head does.
Unless it has torque to yeild headbolts the chances of an aluminum head spiting coolant is higher. Now keep in mind I didnt say they all would or most would. Any time you put two differant metals on the same engine they cool at differant rates which increases the chance of head gasket failure. It doesnt worry me enough to pull the aluminum heads off of my car or stop me from installing them on someone elses car. I'd feel more comfortable traveling cross country using a cast iron head. I did enough head gaskets on ZZ502, ZZ 350s and Ford Crate motors to see a pattern. It still wouldn't stop me from using them but the thought would be on my mind from time to time headed out through Utah or Navada
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Unless it has torque to yeild headbolts the chances of an aluminum head spiting coolant is higher. Now keep in mind I didnt say they all would or most would. Any time you put two differant metals on the same engine they cool at differant rates which increases the chance of head gasket failure. It doesnt worry me enough to pull the aluminum heads off of my car or stop me from installing them on someone elses car. I'd feel more comfortable traveling cross country using a cast iron head. I did enough head gaskets on ZZ502, ZZ 350s and Ford Crate motors to see a pattern. It still wouldn't stop me from using them but the thought would be on my mind from time to time headed out through Utah or Navada
I understand all this very well, still doesnt explain the millions of cars that travel cross country with iron blocks and aluminum heads. There are far more advantages to aluminum, there is literally not one downside to them. Anyways those windsor jr's are ok, nothing to get real excited over though.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I understand all this very well, still doesnt explain the millions of cars that travel cross country with iron blocks and aluminum heads. There are far more advantages to aluminum, there is literally not one downside to them. Anyways those windsor jr's are ok, nothing to get real excited over though.
A lot of aluminum headed engines use torque to yeild bolts. I'm not disputing the advantages of an aluminum head. I like the ease of repair, I like the fact you can increase the compression ratio with Aluminum, the light weight and the ease of porting. Back in the day before so many came on the market we would take factory GM Big Block Chevy aluminun castings and add more meat to bottom of the ports so we could enlarge the ports. With a little work the Windsor Jr.s do a good job. Having nothing but good experiance with them I won't say anything bad about them. I had customers that just didn't want an aluminum head so we sold them Windsor Jr, Iron Eagles, Merlin or whatever they wanted. Never a problem with them always produced good power and priced well.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Portmaster, woodsy, take it easy! Jeez! lol
Zach, Im sorry, but I would be embarassed to admit I have a cylinder head that big and run that slow in anything but a 5500 lb truck.
It sounds like they can be made to flow with just a little work, which is what I suspected anyway. Someone else posted a link to an article on FordMuscle.com which mentions a company that claims they can CNC port these heads to flow as much as a Motorsport/Canfield "Z" head.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...engineairflow/

EDIT: I just called Total Engine Airflow, the company mentioned in the FordMuscle article, and they said they dont even port the windsor jr anymore. They highly recommend the Twisted Wedge head, which is what Ive heard some other top engine builders say is the best windsor head out there right now. Porting cost is around $900 and their phone number has been changed from the one listed in the ad. New number is: 1-330-634-2155

Last edited by Decurion; 12-19-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
79stang351w

The Windsor Jr's work pretty good on my street/strip fox. Best track time is an 11.35 @ 119. 351w, solid cam, fully balanced, vic jr, 750DP, roller C4, 8.8 spool, 4.56 gears, 26 inch ET Drags. Untouched Windsor Jr's. This winter I think I'm getting a set of AFR 185's. I got to break into the 10's!

Mike
See it run an 11.69 through the mufflers two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z07V5XkhQPE

Quick Reply: World Products SB-Ford Windsor Jr Cast Iron Heads