5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Thermostat

Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default Thermostat

Hey guys. I believe my thermostat has gone out, aka is staying open the entire time and not letting my engine get to proper temp which is causing my terrible gas milage.

Now I dont know if this is due to it being so f'ing cold outside, were talking like 5f or if its my actual thermostat.

Either way, whether my tstat works or not, I am changing it. My question to you guys is what tstat should I be using?

From what I have read, I should go with a 180degree tstat, and Mr. Gasket I believe was a good name brand.

Is this true? Is a 180degree tstat going to be fine when its 5f outside in the winter, and 100f in the summer? I have an electric fan that flows great, and cooling generally isnt an issue.

The reason I believe my tstat is out is because while driving generally my car will not get up to the middle line, with my electric fan off. Usually its at the 2nd line, 1 below the middle and sometimes even slightly below that.

So I figure this is worth a try, let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thermostat

Run a 195 year round to keep the computer in closed loop and reduce engine wear.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

I just did a little more research and I think I am going to have to agree with you on that one. I went from getting 300miles to a tank, to getting 200miles to a tank. Pretty drastic change. I dont know if this is going to fix it or not, but the majority of the time im driving, my stock guage is VERY low. We will see. Since I personally haven't changed the tstat since i bought the car, i figure i might as well since i will know whats in it.

It appears theres a 195 mr gasket tstat, however it says "race only".

Considering my car is a daily driver, should i opt for a different brand. Such as Duralast, or failsafe, or valuecraft? Im just gonna run to autozone to grab it, so let me know, thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

The MR.Gasket t-stat flows more water than a standard one. Not really needed on a street car. I have a Dualast in mine and it works fine.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

The first mistake here, is relying on your dashboard reading, when in fact you could have a bad Temperature Control Sending Unit.

If you have heat, leave the thermostat alone, as you are about the open a can of worms.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Well, mileage is down, so it may be in open loop all of the time, plus it is good PM. At least it isn't stuck shut. $10 well spent!!

My factory gauge is right on with my aftermarket gauge.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

I agree that I should not be using my stock guage, however i dont believe it is to far off if any at all. Considering during the summer, it will rise and to much if i dont put my fan on, and during the winter, it wont etc. I am pretty sure my tstat is stuck open because of how cold the car remains at 99% of the time. If i leave it idle for a VERY long time, like 20 minutes, then it will get warm. Other then that, shes always below the 2nd line under the middle. Which is pretty cool on the stock gauge.

If I could afford it, I would change the stock gauge. But for now, I think I will stick with a duralast/valuecraft 195 tsat. Let me know your opinions, thanks guy.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

My opinion is that the colder temperatures could be keeping your engine cooler or you have a poor mixture of Glycol to Water Ratio.

And the poor gas mileage, winter mix gasoline.

One of the bolts is hard to get at and takes some time, but for $5 or so, its not a bad loss.

Soak both with W 40, or penetrating oil overnight.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

yeah its a pain to get that bolt out... not hard, just time consuming,have fun
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

I have more trouble with the small hose more than the bolt on the left side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat