5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD shifting, Am I doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: AOD shifting, Am I doing this right?

I did some searching on-line and there are a bunch of conflicting stories about doing the 1-D-1 shuffle. I read more saying it was alright as long as you make sure the transmission fully shifted into second before you pull it back into first. If you don't let it shift fully then it will have some sort of adverse effects on the OD clutches and bands. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I don't have an automatic or know anything about them I was just curious. I did a bunch of work to an AOD car and one of the things was putting in a converter and having the transmission rebuilt. That little bushing in the throttle bodybroke and burnt up OD clutches.The guy building the transmission told me how to do the 1-D-1 thing. I'll call him tomorrow and ask what he says.He owns a performance automatic shop soif anyone should know it's him.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jagman454

1) alright, so got a AOD, and I shift it myself by having it in low then up to D then right back down to low again to get into 2nd then to get into third I just put it in D

2) I'm not going to mess up my tranny doing this am I? Also, someone posted before but no one replied

3)what would be and advantage of buying a aftermarket shifter like B&M for example, anything? thanks!
1) yes thats correct, don't pull back too quick after you hit 2 though, it may downshift into 1

2) absolutely you will, start saving $1800 for the rebuild...you are causing some intermediate clutches to be engaged when they shouldn't be

3) none whatsoever, what you really want if you insist on keeping it aod, is a manual valve body, 3000 stall converter, a good shift kit and an oil cooler
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM
westcoastpj
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jagman454

3) none whatsoever, what you really want if you insist on keeping it aod, is a manual valve body, 3000 stall converter, a good shift kit and an oil cooler
would this shift like an AOD when kept in drive?what would this setup do?would i have to do the 1-d-1 shift still?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

i thought they came with oil coolers? my mark vii has one atleast. but its built into the radiator or somthing.[&:]
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I talked to my tranmission man and he said that it's not that bad to do that but it will take away from the life of the transmission some. I am with nitrous_bob,get a good valve body, converter, and cooler.
The factory cooler is fine for stock stuff but a looser converter will create more heat and you need a more effecient cooler.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: westcoastpj
would this shift like an AOD when kept in drive?what would this setup do?would i have to do the 1-d-1 shift still?
lentech makes an electronically controlled valvebody that will lock out od, so you can make full use of 1-3 in the 1-D-OD shifter positions, then when you turn the button off, you again have od shifting (it's a like a "tow" button on pickups pretty much)

no you would NOT have to do the shuffle anymore, just upshift it like a clutchless manual

heat kills automatics....period other than contaminated fluid that is...once the fluid is contaminated it will ruin everything else, the converter is not flushable to there goes $500, the od band is super super fragile and it will go first, once that goes the sun shell will get all scored and need replaced as well.

bottom line is a $2000+ rebuild. cuz you need a bunch of hard parts.... a basic rebuild quote is for clutchpacks ONLY + the labor and seals

hard parts get expensive quick, the best deal you can get is the motorsport low gear set, it upgrades the 1-2 of the aod to aode specs, w/ a better 1st better 2nd and wider od band.

but it will still get ruined quick...i did that w/ a tci 2200 converter in my first 5.0, it was slightly quicker, and lasted 9 months in a 14 second car
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll be fine with the shuffle!!! heck I did if and I did more than a few 3000 rpm nuetral drops...I tried to blow mine up and gave up and finally just put a t-5 in...and no 1st isn't just to be used in the snow....if you wanna take off like a turd sliding up a hill and be the last one to the finish line at the track and be known as "aka" slow5.0be my guest!!.....but use what you got to rocket that car off the line..racing is racing things will break no matter the care you take to avoid it
Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
westcoastpj
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

ORIGINAL: westcoastpj
lentech makes an electronically controlled valvebody that will lock out od, so you can make full use of 1-3 in the 1-D-OD shifter positions, then when you turn the button off, you again have od shifting (it's a like a "tow" button on pickups pretty much)

no you would NOT have to do the shuffle anymore, just upshift it like a clutchless manual

heat kills automatics....period other than contaminated fluid that is...once the fluid is contaminated it will ruin everything else, the converter is not flushable to there goes $500, the od band is super super fragile and it will go first, once that goes the sun shell will get all scored and need replaced as well.

bottom line is a $2000+ rebuild. cuz you need a bunch of hard parts.... a basic rebuild quote is for clutchpacks ONLY + the labor and seals

hard parts get expensive quick, the best deal you can get is the motorsport low gear set, it upgrades the 1-2 of the aod to aode specs, w/ a better 1st better 2nd and wider od band.

but it will still get ruined quick...i did that w/ a tci 2200 converter in my first 5.0, it was slightly quicker, and lasted 9 months in a 14 second car
so they include some type of button to turn on/off o/d correct?how much does it cost?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

google and search manaul valve bodies from lentech. Thats what your needing the most. Basically as was said, it makes your 1st - 1st gear, your D - 2nd gear, and your OD - 3rd gear. Then when you really need 4th, which is your OD its a button you press.

MJR you give very good advice and I agree with it the majority of a time, however I would NOT be doing 1st gear pulls going into D with an automatic tranny at 5500rpms. Its gonna burn up the tranny REAL QUICK, expecially doing the 1-d-1 shuffle, which is TERRIBLE on the tranny, no matter what anyone says.