5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Loose Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Default Loose Roller Rockers

Quick question about Roller Rockers. I am using this procedure to adjust them:

1. Crank engine till Intake valve is all the way open and starts to close; adjust Exhaust Valve.
2. Crank engine till Exhaust valve is all the way open and starts to close; adjust Intake Valve.
3. To adjust, turn bolt till zero lash on the pushrod, then give it one half turn and lock.

I use this to adjust every single one. When I first adjust it, the rocker arm is completely tight. No side to side play on the rocker arm and no up and down play on the push rod. After I crank the engine over to adjust the next cylinder, the rockers I just did seem to loosen up. When the valve is closed I have no up and down play on the push rod (good thing) but it seems to have slight side to side play. If the valve is open, then the rocker is completely tight. It is this way on every single rocker after being adjusted and cranked over. Is this normal and will it tighten up when the engine is running or am I doing something wrong here?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Loose Roller Rockers

that is normal!!! why?? cause you are bleeding off some of the oil that is trapped in the hydraulic lash adjuster inside the lifter....once the car starts oil pressure will fill the gallies and pump the lifters up to where there will be no play..all you are doing is setting preload via using the split overlap methood...don't worry..continue the process and you'll be fine
Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Yeah, what he said, I was gonna said
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Awesome! That makes me feel much better. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I think you have intake and exhaust switched.

Adjusting Valvetrain

This is the system I use when adjusting stud mount roller rockers on my small block Fords with an Hydraulic Roller Camshaft. This will also work for almost any engine using adjustable roller rockers* and a hydraulic style cam and lifter combination (roller or not). My particular Roller Rocker Arms on my 351w with World Products Windsor Heads are Trick Flow 51400520 - 1.6 ratio for a 7/16" stud.

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the preload on. I think the easiest and fastest way is to just follow the firing order. For the 5.0 HO and 351w the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Start with the No. 1 cylinder (passenger side front).

2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop. You are now ready to adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so.

4. Now pull up and down (or rotate) the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the movement of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one quarter to one half turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

Copied from sbftech.com

Matt
Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

got any advice on the pedistal mount rockers?