5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

400whp

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
zash

Default RE: 400whp

ORIGINAL: Alero99

Each set up has its ups and downs

Turbos are typically very expensive for the average joe, tuning becomes issues, and day to day reliablility, ALOT of piping running a muck in your engine bay, boost leaks, intercooler problems, blah blah blah

Top Mount S/Cs are slightly less expensive and much more simple,

TURBOS WILL ALMOST ALWAYS OUT PERFORM A S/C REMEMBER THAT!

but for street use, def get the top mount S/C, slap a Whipple, Kenne Bell, or a WEIAND on there
I like it easy and simple. I'm not a mechanic, in fact I suck at it. I found a KB powered mustang on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes

The supercharger makes it sound like a remote controlled electric car. So I can tell the tree huggers it's a hybrid!!! Seriously, this car has way more power than I'm aiming at and that kind of noise is not as annoying as a whine. I will keep looking. Thought the youtube video might be of interest. It rocks!

Edit: Ok, looking again at the video the whine is definitely annoying.. Bet he runs serious boost.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

you may what to consider a centri s/c then

it works like a turbo, it has to spool but it is belt driven, boost will kick in around 3000rpms depending on the size of the unit

Vortech makes excellent Centri units, look at thier SQ unit, SQ for super quiet, you'll probably barely hear it at WOT between the wind and your exhaust and w/e else and def not at idle
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

well that one is a lot louder than yours would be thats an 03 cobra that thing is probably runnin around 20 psi
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

www.quicktimeturbosystems.com can make you a nice turbo kit.

They come highly recommended.
Installing a turbo is simple.

If you can change out some headers and H-pipe on your exhaust
you can install a turbo.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Turbos are typically very expensive for the average joe, tuning becomes issues, and day to day reliablility, ALOT of piping running a muck in your engine bay, boost leaks, intercooler problems, blah blah blah

but for street use, def get the top mount S/C, slap a Whipple, Kenne Bell, or a WEIAND on there

+1
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zash

Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a 95 GT and I'd like to take her up to 400hp. I want a supercharger, as I live in high altitude. So I though of 6-8psi boost and what else do I need to get close to 400wHP? I thought a trickflow head might help. I don't want the car to be loud, so I'm not going to mess much with the exhaust.

Also, can the auto tranny handle this? It's gonna be a long range cruiser more than a sportscar, so it's gonna be automatic and low engine noise..

Thanks
If youre worried about how loud the car will be then I dont think a S/C or Turbo is right for you.
Just slap on some good flowinheads, bigger injectors(24-30), bigger fp, and 150 shot of Nitrous.
With nitrous the power is there when you want it and theres no gear whine noises or whistling
noises associated with S/C and turbos.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

beat me too it!

Nitrous makes no noise at all
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
One Bad MOFO
2nd Gear Member

I like it easy and simple. I'm not a mechanic, in fact I suck at it. I found a KB powered mustang on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes

The supercharger makes it sound like a remote controlled electric car. So I can tell the tree huggers it's a hybrid!!! Seriously, this car has way more power than I'm aiming at and that kind of noise is not as annoying as a whine. I will keep looking. Thought the youtube video might be of interest. It rocks!

Edit: Ok, looking again at the video the whine is definitely annoying.. Bet he runs serious boost.
are you f*ckin serious? Kenne Bell blower whine has to be the best sound in the world.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

what vortech will whine loud?? im looking to get a s/c thats loud..i love that noisee
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: One Bad ****

are you f*ckin serious? Kenne Bell blower whine has to be the best sound in the world.
+1 bagilion!!! the video of that cobra put a pig ol smile on my face wow

Quick Reply: 400whp