5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Big Problems keeping my car running.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
BosoxSN95

Default Big Problems keeping my car running.

I traded for this Mustang a few weeks ago. It's a 1995 5.0 GT, and its already had problem after problem, bad tranny fixed, timing messed up now fixed, and now the other day I was driving home from class and I recodnized the car staying around 2 grand RPM, it would not go below it at an idle. I tried to rev the car to get it to knock it off if it was the throttle cable, but then it stayed at 3 grand RPM. I get home finally shut the car off let it sit for a bit, then turn it back on. When it fired off it sounded like the timing was way off again, and I heard a loud clicking or knocking noise comming from the engine and I thought of the valve springs right away and was very pissed. I waited another day until I went back out to check it out, fired the car up and it started fine at first then boged for a bit and then slowly droped in RPMs and eventually cut off. Then I thought of something being wrong with the fuel injectors... can anyone help me with this problem?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Big Problems keeping my car running.

Check the timing again, make sure the spout connector is put back in after your done.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run a koeo/koer test..check for any codes..if none..check for vaccum leaks, clean the maf..and more so clean the IAC motor
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 AM
BosoxSN95

I cleaned The IAC, along with the throttle body with throttle and carb cleaner, and also cleaned my air filter. And it started to finally stay on but now I have another serious problem, not sure if its coming from what I did to the car but its totally different. It now starts and has a little higher but not very high idle, and is A LOT louder then it was and has a bad vibration. When I'm driving I notice A LOT less response then when it was before the origional problem and it feels slower. Also in between gears it has a VERY loud backfire almost like a gun going off underneath me shaking the entire car every time I shift lightly or hard. Another problem I noticed that does not relate to this fully, but I felt my transmission bucking like a horse again while in second gear not accelerating, and I just had that repair and is under warrante so I'll take it back there after this bigger problem is taken care of. I got back in the car to go home and it started up fine, and after it warmed up when I put it in gear and tried to move the car would not go, when I took my foot off the gas I heard a knock come from the trottle body like it was thorwing the cable... It's late now so I could not get a better look at it in my friends neighborhood and I did not want to leave it running in a quiet neighborhood with straightpipes.

These problems are really driving me insane while trying to deal with going to class 5 days a week...

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the probable cause for this? And I wanted to run a check engine light to see what else was wrong with it other then my o2 sensors being gone cause I have no cats, but the OBD2 plug seems to be shorted or not connected, again havnt had time to look at that as well.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

check to see if the harmonic balancer is coming apart

ORIGINAL: BosoxSN95
And I wanted to run a check engine light to see what else was wrong with it other then my o2 sensors being gone cause I have no cats, but the OBD2 plug seems to be shorted or not connected, again havnt had time to look at that as well.
thats because your car is not OBDII.... dont try to use the port under the dash
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

first off...ur O2 sensors arnt gone from u not having cats...the sensors are in front of where the converters used to be anyway...and im kinda curious...u didnt really specify..but u said u were shifting..so i assume its a manual?....im just kinda wondering ...was this a aode car originally and someone put a 5speed in it instead?..because the bucking problems, high idle when not in gear sound like the problem we had with my buddies 95 when we put the 5speed in his and ran it with the automatic computer....once we put a computer out of a manual car in it was perfect...im just curious...and yes check the balancer..that would definatly cause a vibration..
Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
BosoxSN95

I'm not fully worried right now about the trannsmission and the O2sensors, I will take care of those and thanks for the info.

I just really want to know why after cleaning my throttlebody that it is barly giving enough gas to move in first, I can get it to drive right now but only from second and on not first.... And the backfire in between every gear is insane, it sounds like I have a 12 gauge shotgun.below me firing.......
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

only thing that makes a backfire is timing, or something broke. check, then double check. computer issue might be something u wanna check out. what was wrong with the timing initially?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I'm just re-inerating. Redo the timing. Hopefully your doing it with a timing light?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

your not alone im having hell with my 94 gt, what did you trade for this car? if you had the work done at a shop then i wouldnt trust it until i did it myself or a really trusted mechanic did it.