5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pulling enigne to swap trans.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Pulling enigne to swap trans.

I am getting a c4 to replace my screwed c5. Is it a pain in the a$$ to pull the engine with the auto tranny still attachted? I know I can drop it from the bottom but I don't have a trans jack and I am by myself for the most part. I am a little guy so I can't exactly man handle the thing laying down. The wife can help do a few things. Thats not my only reason to pull the motor but with the exhaust completly off so it won't be out the way how hard will it really be?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Pulling enigne to swap trans.

you'll have to shark it out on a steep angle but it's possible...remove the readiator for extra clearance too
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea thats what I figured. Have you or anyone else here ever used the plates that bolt to the intakes to pull engines? I made one for carb and one for EFI back in high school and haven't used them yet. Will the threads in the intakes accually stand up to the weight of the motor? I have an eddy intake so its not somthing cheap.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Get a load level for your engine hoist. It will be your new best friend when taking out and installing motor and tranny. They are fairly inexpensive.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

yes i agree i pulled my motor and trans at same time i bought a load leveler like 25 bucks and it made it way easier just crank it around to move the angle the motor is at
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
DrmZero
2nd Gear Member

yea it shouldnt be too hard with a leveler... just tilt it and pull it... make sure ur garage doesnt have a low ceiling or your cherry picker will hit... been there done that... sucks!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea, I thought about buying one and I know it would help I just gotta find one that cheap. I may end up trying to do it without one and muscle it out a little. I just started buying a house so I am moving within a month hopefully. Gotta find time away from the wife to get it all accomplished.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

thats how i pull mine out. just unbolt the t5 from the crossmember and unhook any wires going to the trans then undo the motor mounts, take the raditor and fan off then pull it out slowly. i think pulling it out with the trans is easier and safer on the trans since you dont have to pull the engine away from the trans which can do harm to the input shaft if done in correctly
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea well thats the plan. Trying without a load leveler. I'll just have the wife get under and tug on the end of the tranny if need be to get the right angle and chain position. No biggy.

Still, has anyone used the plates that bolt to the intake to pull motors??
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

No i havn't used the plates, i alway's put a bolt in the back of one head and in the front of another. I've heard of a lot of people using the plates with no problems. In most car mags when they show pics of pulling engine they are using the plate, so i would think they are good.

Quick Reply: Pulling enigne to swap trans.