5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

quick fuel line question with pic attatched.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default quick fuel line question with pic attatched.

hi guys, i need some help. normally i post in the classics section, but since my motor is the '89 5.0 302 fuel injected i have a question for you.

ive already tried searching but couldnt find the answer. can someone tell me which line is the fuel sending line into the engine and which is the return line back to the gas tank. which is the pink arrow line and which is the yellow arrow line? thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: quick fuel line question with pic attatched.

your return line will be the one with the regulator on it i believe
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

possibly the yellow one..hard to tell from angle of pic..why do you need to know this???
Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i put in a new fuel sending unit in the gas tank. however i dont remember which lines went where. so id like to know 100% sure from the motor and just trace the lines back to the gas tank, heres another pic, hopefully a little clearer to see
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

like posted before... look closely at the rail itself, the hose that comes from the regulator is the return
Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

where would i see the regulator? ive followed both lines around the engine to each fuel injector and i cant figure out wich one is which. can anyone else lend some knowledge
Old 02-21-2008, 10:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the regulator is on the back side of the throttle body on the fuel rail...and if your really having that hard of a time ....undo the lines and put them in a bucket and turn the key to the on position and the pump will power up for a sec or two and the line where alll the fuel comes out of will be the feed lineother is return
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i know exactly which lines from the gas tank are the sending and return lines, what i cant figure out is on the motor side which is supposed to be each line.

i like your idea of putting the lines in a bucket, but like i said i know which is which.

below is a close shot of the fuel rail and injectors on the passenger side the very front injector. the green line is connected directly to the injectors. is that the incoming fuel line or the very last one for the return line?

also heres another problem i ran into tonight. after putting in a new fuel sending unit in the gas tank. my fuel pressure gauge reads 0lbs. and the car wont start. (im not sure if my lines are backwards) or my fuel pump isnt working. the pump worked before i did this, so i dont think its that. if i put a multimeter on the fuel pump wires, and just turn the ignition to on, but not crank the motor, will that send power to the fuel pump? or do i actually have to test it while cranking the motor?
or do i have to crank the motor for a long time, so the gas runs through the empty lines up to the motor, then fires up?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if everything is wired the same a s a fox.. then the fuel pump in the key on engine off mode should power up for 1-2 sec then go off casue it doesn't see a pip signal...meaning crank signal..and you can use a test light for that test.. and in the crank mode the fuel pump should power back up...so test it both ways and while someone turns it on briefly listen at the tank for the pump noise.. you should be able to hear it..if not check power and ground on the harness and if all is good...odd though it may seem the pump could of crapped out on you
Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

In your first pic, the 'pink' connector is from the supply side of your pump and the yellow is the return to your tank. If your system is not holding any pressure and it was prior to this, you have your hoses backwards. When you turn your key to the 'ON' position, you should hear the pump cycle for a few seconds. BTW, where is your MAF and filter?

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Quick Reply: quick fuel line question with pic attatched.