5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a couple of questions b4 i take out the 5.0...plz help dunno mustangs that well yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
jsamelis

Default a couple of questions b4 i take out the 5.0...plz help dunno mustangs that well yet

ok so i have a few things i need to take care of on my 92 lx 5.0 b4 i take it out in the spring

1.i think i need to change my mass air sensor. last season it seemed like when i would floor it the engine would clog up so i disconnected the sensor and the powers back but obviously theres a rough idle and im burning alot more gas. what kind of mass air should i go for. my engine is mostly stock for the time being but mods will be done in the next 2 years including supercharger.

2.i need to put in a heater core. i know its a pain in the *** but i gotta do it. how many hours labor would a mechanic charge me. its without a/c

3. i need to replace my 2 front tires. although the tread is still good, because the cars been lowered the walls are worn out. i have 17' cobra r rims. right now i have 235 45 on there. what would be a better size to avoid that problem with the next tires.

4. eventually i would need to replace my tranny too. i have a little syncro problem with the 4th gear. any recommendations for my mustang mostly stock or with the supercharger eventually and how much i should expect to pay for it.

5. when i bought the car there was a little crack on the frame on the right side of the battery. it was welded but ended up cracking again. im thinking im gonna have to reinforce it in order for it not to happen again. just wanted to know how much i should expect to pay for that too.

let me know what u guys think...i have to get these things done soon
thanks in advance
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
jsamelis

Default RE: a couple of questions b4 i take out the 5.0...plz help dunno mustangs that well yet

if u guys can help me out with any of this it would be much appreciated
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: a couple of questions b4 i take out the 5.0...plz help dunno mustangs that well yet

the heater cores without a/c might be easier to change..ull have to let some one whos done it help ya for sure tho...for the tires..how wide a rim?...that makes widths easier to pick from..and the way to help the inside wearing out is get it professionally aligned...as for the tranny...u can get rebuild kits that come with synchros n all the little stuff for not too much like 250 maybe iirc...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

1. Try to clean the MA along with the TPS and all the connections
2. I'm not sure about the HC. There are alot of REALmechanics who can give you an idea. I'd guess about 6-8 hrs
3. As far as the tires, have you had an alignment?
4. I would say go for the TKO 600 if money permits. I love mine. If not it would be cheaper for you to take it out and get it rblt.
5. There should be some way to rig it up. If not you can probably buy a new one. Not sure of price. Look at some sites.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
jsamelis

well ive heard that heater core with ac is easier to do cuz u dont have to take apart the dash. ill check the width of my rims cuz im not 100% sure, but i dont think and allinment would help cuz they only get worn on sharp turn. im sure even if i put the same size theyll be ok for a while but they wouldnt last as long as they should. do u guys think im better off buying a transmission or just rebuilding mine?
thanks for the help guys
Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

I just replaced the HC in my 87 without AC. I had to remove the entire dash. It's not that bad really. Took me about 3 hours from start to finish.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: jsamelis

ok so i have a few things i need to take care of on my 92 lx 5.0 b4 i take it out in the spring

1.i think i need to change my mass air sensor. last season it seemed like when i would floor it the engine would clog up so i disconnected the sensor and the powers back but obviously theres a rough idle and im burning alot more gas. what kind of mass air should i go for. my engine is mostly stock for the time being but mods will be done in the next 2 years including supercharger.

2.i need to put in a heater core. i know its a pain in the *** but i gotta do it. how many hours labor would a mechanic charge me. its without a/c

3. i need to replace my 2 front tires. although the tread is still good, because the cars been lowered the walls are worn out. i have 17' cobra r rims. right now i have 235 45 on there. what would be a better size to avoid that problem with the next tires.

4. eventually i would need to replace my tranny too. i have a little syncro problem with the 4th gear. any recommendations for my mustang mostly stock or with the supercharger eventually and how much i should expect to pay for it.

5. when i bought the car there was a little crack on the frame on the right side of the battery. it was welded but ended up cracking again. im thinking im gonna have to reinforce it in order for it not to happen again. just wanted to know how much i should expect to pay for that too.

let me know what u guys think...i have to get these things done soon
thanks in advance
1.Try cleaning the MAF with special cleaner from parts store
2.depends on with or without factory a/c
3.what would be a better thing??? get an alignment and caster / camber kit
4. rebuild it with a kit and inspect all blocker rings and sincros
5. who knows?? put a plate over it and weld plate to structure