5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gutting the cats on my gt

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gutting the cats on my gt

Well you think the back ones are fine because the front two are clogging it all up for now.. Until you get rid of the front two then you will see how good those back one are they might be just as bad. Just punch them all out. Where do you live. I know if NY where I live for 95 and older you need to run on the dyno for emissions. but im a mechanic so my next mustang i will just punch out the cats because i will just pass it for my self plus i know people and in ny those dyno emission things they arent going to be around much longer thats for sure its so out of date. I might be able to pass with out cats anyway lol. Every shop out here is pretty much getting rid of them because no ones new is learning how to use it and no one is really driving an old car. So soon they will just hand out inspection stickers and just check brakes and seat belts cant wait for those days no more sweating. What ever pieces you dont get out from the front it will just clog up the backs and it will be worse than before.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nymustang50

Well you think the back ones are fine because the front two are clogging it all up for now.. Until you get rid of the front two then you will see how good those back one are they might be just as bad. Just punch them all out. Where do you live. I know if NY where I live for 95 and older you need to run on the dyno for emissions. but im a mechanic so my next mustang i will just punch out the cats because i will just pass it for my self plus i know people and in ny those dyno emission things they arent going to be around much longer thats for sure its so out of date. I might be able to pass with out cats anyway lol. Every shop out here is pretty much getting rid of them because no ones new is learning how to use it and no one is really driving an old car. So soon they will just hand out inspection stickers and just check brakes and seat belts cant wait for those days no more sweating. What ever pieces you dont get out from the front it will just clog up the backs and it will be worse than before.
very very good point.
never thought about that, i kinda just threw it out there.

well i live in colorado, and i passed emmissons about a mth ago, stock headers, mid pipe, and a flowmaster cat back.

all my readings on the dyno type machine where really really low, so who knows how that would go.

i just dont want to spend $400 on bbk cat'ed Hpipe mid's is all.
$100 for a off road mid is so nice, but i dont even know the laws here sence i just moved here.

in florida, they dont give a crap! you could almost run OPEN headers!
i lived there my hole life, move here, and have to deal with this crap.

so idk if i have no cats, if ill get a ticket or not.....so thats why i havent just replaced it yet....

idk what to do right now, but im not sweating it to much.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

There has to be some literature you can read and probably a web site also. Damn i'm glad i live in middle ga where we dont have to worry about ****. Even though they do have it in the Atlanta area. I hope it never makes it down here. If it doe's i'm hoping there will be a stipulation of some sort like if the car is old enough you dont have to worry about it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I just did it not even an hour ago. I just smahed them out with a rubber mallet and a piece of metal pipe. If you look at the shells you can't evem tell that I touched them. The car runs a hell of a lot better now and honestlypulls harder all the way through the rpm range.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

I just did it not even an hour ago. I just smahed them out with a rubber mallet and a piece of metal pipe. If you look at the shells you can't evem tell that I touched them. The car runs a hell of a lot better now and honestlypulls harder all the way through the rpm range.
so you smashed all 4 of them?

how much louder is it?

you hit the metal pipe with a rubber mallet? how'd that work?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

It got quite a bit louder. And yea, I used the pipe like a chisel and the mallet and I just hammered my way through the first then the other then moved to the other side.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

It got quite a bit louder. And yea, I used the pipe like a chisel and the mallet and I just hammered my way through the first then the other then moved to the other side.
very cool!

sounds pretty easy, did you remove the cat's from the car?

id have to use a LONG as SKINNY pipe to get to both cat's on mine.

toay was the first time i put it up on jack's sence i bought the car, and my jacks couldent raise the car to high.
so if im going to do it, ill have to prob get new jack's or take the mid-pipe off.

fun stuff.

thanks for the info bro!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-95...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

lol, if only it where legal here.

ive decided agest punching out my cat's, and depending on my states law (as i cant find anything that says i NEED/DONT to have cats on the car at all times) im prob just going to go with the BBK high flow catted H pipe...... $375.........sucky
Old 02-23-2008, 02:26 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...spagenameZWD1V

Quick Reply: Gutting the cats on my gt