5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my car is an A-hole: please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default my car is an A-hole: please help

ive had problem after probelm with this 94 gt. it is making good progress though and its finally getting drivable. First off the car loads up really bad and smokes and crap for a couple minutes everytime i start it. it will eventually clear up and run pretty good. what can i do to correct this? ive heard the MAF sensor getting dirty could maybe cause this? if so what you reccomend cleaning it with? is there anything else that should be cleaned? Next the car has some serious electrical problems. before the headlights would flicker on and off and act crazy. well i fixed that by replacing the pigtail connector for the dimmer switch and it fixed the the flickering. now the interior lights, speedometer, AC, Radio, dome lights and rear running lights do not work. none of these worked before the pigtail install so i know its not from that. any ideas here? ive checked and replaced all fuses. i know the spedo worked when i got the car. as soon as i got it home the positive cable grounded out against the frame and it fried alot of things like the alternator, 5 or 6 fuses, and the pigtail on the light switch. thats all i know of right now im sure there are more things that fried that is causing the current problems. If you guys could give me some ideas on any of this that would be greatly apreciated, thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: my car is an A-hole: please help

you need to check all wiring.. sounds like some is still fried somewhere
Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 AM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

yea, is there and electrical part to the speedometer that could burn up and casuse it to no longer work? also the lights started flickering again but i think its bc i hit a bump, they quit doing it after a while. definetly makes me[:@]
Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 AM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

also will cleaning the mass air flow sensor and throttle body help my rich at idle problem if they are dirty?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: gtpcoupe

also will cleaning the mass air flow sensor and throttle body help my rich at idle problem if they are dirty?
what makes you think your rich at idle???
Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

it dumps fuel. you can smell the gas, it wont hardly run you gatta hold it at 3k for 2 min. for it to start running right. its black smoke. there is no doubt it is running rich, i even pulled a spark plug and it was dripping with fuel. the only mods are headers and O/R h pipe. The only thing i can think of is maybe the car used to be raced and had nitrious on it and they upgraded the fuel system for the spray. Then they took the spray off and sold it and left the fuel system?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

buy a can of MAF cleaner at autozone for $6 and spray the **** of of ur MAF filiment. DO NOT touch it with anything to try and clean it. Only spray the cleaner on it then let it dry and reinstall.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

my car when i first got it, its idle was really rough, did the old seafoam cleaning steps, your problem sounds A LOT worse than mine, but it worked wonders for me.

good luck with the electrical, having some problems with it myself =/
Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget your in-line fuses I had the same problem with my dash lights and that is where my problem area was. Good Luck man, and be nice to the stang no one likes being called an *** hole. I bet if you talked nicer to her she wouldn't act up so much
Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

in line fuses? do you mean the ones under the steering wheel by the hood release? if so yes ive replaced those. and if the car wouldnt act up i wouldnt call it an *** hole. haha you think thats bad you should hear what i call it when im working on it[:@]

Quick Reply: my car is an A-hole: please help