5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

swapped over to carb.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: swapped over to carb.

wow..points ehh??? I'd put what should be on the car electronic ignition..like duraspark set up and get the 85 dizzy with roller cam gear on it and ditch the 2 barrel set up..hope the 400hp in your screen name is not in reference to the car..cause you just slashed that number in half and then some by adding a 2 barrel set up..at least let it breath..add a performer 289 intake and 4 barrel carb..cause now the car is gonna be slower than it was then when it was efi
Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

im looking for an efi setup =/
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

New harness is what I would have done, they are not that hard to find.

The fuel injection gives you good mileage and good power and a longer lasting motor.

Going to points/2 barrel eliminates all three of those things from the realm of possibilities.

If you run itwith the wrong gear on the distributor for your cam, as MM said above you are likely to have a bunch of engine unfriendly metal bits floating around inside your engine.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: irish1

The fuel injection gives you good mileage and good power and a longer lasting motor.

Going to points/2 barrel eliminates all three of those things from the realm of possibilities.

If you run itwith the wrong gear on the distributor for your cam, as MM said above you are likely to have a bunch of engine unfriendly metal bits floating around inside your engine.

Good luck!

Matt
How so?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Did you put a fuel pressure regulator from the electric pump? the electric pumps operate at higher pressures than a manual pump that a carb uses. The pressure might be too high. And could be causing your flooding. I think SUMMIT sells some specifically for a efi to carb swap. A carb usually runs 7-10 psi, where efi setups run from 30-75psi(ithink). Either way... It's alot more pressure.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I think longer lasting as you get a much more precise air fuel mix because of the computer control. Perhaps a more accurate way to say it would be a cleaner burning, more precise engine with the potential to last longer and burn less gas but it sounds like semantics to me.

Matt
Old 02-22-2008, 06:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you have a good carb and it's tuned well, it'll last just as long as EFI(older carb designs aren't so good at this). Overly rich choke settings are what will shorten life with a carb, since the extra fuel washes oil off the cylinder wall when the engine is cold(when wear is highest in any engine).

Definately check the fuel pressure.

And I'm a fan of carburetion over EFI, but generally don't advocate switching from EFI to carb in most cases, it's not always worth it. But if you do an EFI to carb swap, why on EARTH would you go to a 2bbl and POINTS?!?!! A setup like that basically neutralizes any advantages carburetion has. And points? Why don't you ditch your pneumatic tires and put stone wheels on the car? Fred Flintstone used points...they constantly need adjusting, and aren't nearly as reliable and consistant as an electronic setup, and they wear out, magnetic/optical pickups don't. Definately do what mjr suggested, and get an electronic dizzy off a stock roller engine. And if you used an iron geared dizzy, then yeah, you most likely have some metal shavings sitting in your oil pan and need to get them out before they potentially damage the oil pump. At least go to a stock electronic dizzy from a roller engine and a stock 4bbl Autolite or something. 2bbl and points is a complete waste of time, effort and money as far as carb conversions go.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: irish1

Good luck!

Matt
only if you run it like that for an extended period of time^^^^^^^^^when I had a timing issue with my 66 I was using my 92 lx 5.0 carbed set up as a test /known good parts on the ignition system... and was swapping dizzys between the two to correct a prob / narrow it down to something in the dizzy......turned out to be a prob in the advance rate...but swapping for brief stints to test caused no probs whatsoever....prolonged use will.....but the key is in the definition of prolonged= how much is to much.. I'd say a 30 mile drive[:@]
Old 02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
1992gt400hp
1st Gear Member

i was just trying to get the car back up and going because it was in my way where it was sitting. it only went about 40 feet before i shut it back off. i have already changed to dual points mallory ignition and put a 4 bbl carb on the car. i definately havent lost any power in my swap. yesterday, i ran my buds 02 GT and left him right off the get-go. and yes, he knows how to race... i think i done alright for a $80 swap out.
i didnt want a new harness because the damn thing has really pissed me off with the EFI. i can MAKE a carbed setup run beside the road, not so with the EFI... i dont carry around a friggin code reader and a toolbox wherever i go........

and the 400 HP in my name goes with that car\/... it has more now than it did when i
started my account more like
775 now