5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
xjarhead1999
1st Gear Member

Default what would you do??

just not sure what i need to do now and looking for some advice and wondering what you would do.

got a mostly stock 5.0 engine. only thing not stock is cam and not sure what kind it is since it was allready in car when bought. well im in need of a rebuild. ive noticed it has started using some oil and a few other minor things. guessing the rings are worn pretty good.

so what would you do in this situation and had $2500 to spend on engine?

do a basic rebuild and buy some afr heads, cam, intake, ect? would have all new parts with a used block. i would like to have the block bored over but that is not an option. there is only one shop in my local area that can do that and they will never touch anything on a vehicle of mine. a very unreliable, overprices, dishonest, and rude shop. my dad used to have a shop, but closed up many years ago. he will be helping me out and will do what we can with what we have.( a previous post said this wouldnt be a good idea)

or

buy an engine assembly like the one summit sells(part # FMS-M6009B50) and then use the rest for some cheaper heads, cam, and so on.

or bust the budget by about $700(which would take away from something else) and pick up a crate engine from summit(part # FMS-M-6007-XB3) and use my stock intake for now, then next year or something swap intake and then heads for some afrs or whatever.

any input is appreciated.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:05 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what would you do??

Whatever you do, don't settle for cheap heads or any other part. Personally I would get a basic rebuild if your engine is still in good shape...But thats just me, although If you and your dad can do all the labor, then Maby you should save until you got $3200 or whatever and basically pimp out your engine bay with everything new and no labor cost!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:41 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well IMO ..i would find a cheap block and start from there while driving the car

Old 04-02-2005, 11:44 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

i would put in some high comp pistons, all gaskets and seals and all that sh*t, then put it together the way it was. save up and buy a top end kit such as http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&N=400098 when you have the money for it.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:48 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast

well IMO ..i would find a cheap block and start from there while driving the car

i my opinion i agree with vfast