5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil in the throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default oil in the throttle body

i was taking the ducting off to clean the MAF and TB and when i got it off there was oil all over the throttle body. i noticed a while back that my oil dipstick had blown out some and threw oil everywhere. My guess is that crancase pressure got high and blew oil thru the dipstick and i guess the Intake and throttle body as well. any ideas on this? Isnt there a sensor that is supposed to monitor this crankcase pressure? If there is that may be faulty and whats causing my problem. All i know is that oil in the intake is not good. this would also explain why the car smokes sometimes espically at high RPM. any help would be great
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: oil in the throttle body

check pcv system and after that perform a cylinder leakage test to verify seal of rings and or compression test to verify engine worthiness
Old 02-23-2008, 06:27 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

check pcv system and after that perform a cylinder leakage test to verify seal of rings and or compression test to verify engine worthiness
damn you why do you always get to this stuff before me lol. he is right try replacing your pcv valve mine got stuck and sucked up a quart of oil intomy intake and out my exhaustin a 1/4 mile run or you could have some very excessive blow by from your rings. what is it mjr 8% is normal leakage? anyway when doing that listen at your oil fill and see if you hear a hissing if you do then you got bad rings. do the same thing at the trottle body and you got bad intake valve guides seals or what ever same with the exhaust
Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sometimes if you have excessive blowby you can put your finger over the dipstick tube hole and feel the pressure.. I got this customer with a volvo that literally shoots a stream of smoke out the tube hole and it's funny you can really feel the pressure build up..needless to say I 'm suprised it still runs...2 cyl had 70 psi last time it was in...oh and SORRY hackgt350.......AS FAST as fast can be you'll never post faster than me!!!lol!!! anyway, I kmow it's a while off but do you plan to go to cj pony parts customer apreciation day again this year?? maybe I'll see you there
Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

im hoping its the pcv anyway. where is this valve and how do i check it? there is a CEL but i dont have enough time to do that koer thing, maybe ill try to tommorow. I need to find out what this little plug on top of the Throttle body is, it goes onto the right side of the throttle body. this plugin's wires have been cut.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

no i dont think ill be making it this year. my brother is getting married july 11th and ill be home the 2 weeks before that so i dont think ill have the money to make the trip from mass to pa just for a day thats a bit of a haul for me. but we will see it all depends on the money hopefully ill have the new engine in by then. i dunno its up in the air right now we will see

as for the CEL i would get that checked out its not good to drive around like that you could have something that needs to be fixed asap
Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmm bummer !! forgot that you were way up north for school I thought you were in PA for school...guess I was wrong
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

sometimes if you have excessive blowby you can put your finger over the dipstick tube hole and feel the pressure.. I got this customer with a volvo that literally shoots a stream of smoke out the tube hole and it's funny you can really feel the pressure build up..needless to say I 'm suprised it still runs...2 cyl had 70 psi last time it was in...oh and SORRY hackgt350.......AS FAST as fast can be you'll never post faster than me!!!lol!!! anyway, I kmow it's a while off but do you plan to go to cj pony parts customer apreciation day again this year?? maybe I'll see you there
Dude, that has to be your only customer lol. You are on here constantly. I know you've been saying business is slow but DAMN!. I'm on here thru-out the day too, but i'm civil service and you know how gubment time works.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^ no I don't work on weekends and evenings.... and have plenty more customers than that...by slow I mean a typical week flat rate is 35-40 hrs...... when I used to be doing 50-60 consistantly......so that's slow to me.... the wife works when I don't so I watch our little girl then at home.... and it's been cold wet and nasty here lately so confined to the house.....new house = no repairs to do....winter = no outside work to do and motor still isn't in yet!! so I'm bored out of my mind and am pullin my hair out waiting for my motor .....so when it arrives see ya'!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Dude, that has to be your only customer lol. You are on here constantly. I know you've been saying business is slow but DAMN!. I'm on here thru-out the day too, but i'm civil service and you know how gubment time works.
so is that how the government allows our tax dollars to be spent?? gov time and on the public forums gettin paid and all......sweet....difference with me if I'm on here during the day I ain't gettin a red cent!![:@].....I need a government job!! salary ftw!!!

Quick Reply: oil in the throttle body