5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel pump powerless

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 AM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: fuel pump powerless

ttt

come on guys I know some one can help me out..... please
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Leave the jumper wire to ground installed at the VIP connector, and check that the FP relay "clicks" everytime the key is turned to IGN ON...... if it does, and no pwer is present at the output wire to the inertia switch/fuel pump....... you may have a problem on the "always hot" power supply wire......

[IMG]local://upfiles/27355/AA6B8625CFF5471E8C43E51AE76C0B62.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Ok here it is.

With FP Trigger grounded, the relay did not click. I checked the wires and this is how it went.

DG/ YEL -POWER
RD/BLK -POWER
TAN/LtGR -NO POWER
PNK/BLK -NO POWER

This was all done with the FP Trigger grounded and the key in the run position. I jumped the Pnk/BLK with the DG/YEL and the pump came on.So there isnt a short between the relay to pump.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

From the readings you took w/out and with the FP trigger terminal grounded.......

fuel pump relay
green/yellow-power on ignition on/and off
tan- power on ignition on only
red/bl- power on ignition on only
pink/bl-no powere ignition on/and off
and....

ORIGINAL: littlebluelx

With FP Trigger grounded, the relay did not click. I checked the wires and this is how it went.

DG/ YEL -POWER
RD/BLK -POWER
TAN/LtGR -NO POWER
PNK/BLK -NO POWER
Looks like that relay is kaput..... the ground pulse is reaching the FP relay coil, and is still not switching the power from the DG/YEL terminal to the PNK/BLK terminal.... and you can't tell it is "clicking" = activating..... which should, based on the results above.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

So I just need to replace this relay again? now what would cause both the stock relay to fail and this one?

Also befor my car was throwing 65 I think in the KOEO test and wouldn't run long enough for me to test the KOER I would run rich and miss fire. Would the relay going bad of caused this or a pump problem.

I have replaced every sensor or tested in the last two months. So people are telling me my cpu is gone. Any help Joe
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

So I just need to replace this relay again? now what would cause both the stock relay to fail and this one?

Also befor my car was throwing 65 I think in the KOEO test and wouldn't run long enough for me to test the KOER I would run rich and miss fire. Would the relay going bad of caused this or a pump problem.

I have replaced every sensor or tested in the last two months. So people are telling me my cpu is gone. Any help Joe
Defective units........ BTST a lot of times, with everything from a coil to a fuel pump. Just check after you replace the relay that it "clicks" with key in IGN ON and grounding the FP trigger wire at the VIP connector...... the FP should turn on, of course.

Don't you mean code 66?..... if so, there's a problem with the MAF circuit..... which will not allow to run a KOER self-test. To ID the CPU as defective, you should go over the elimination process (=diagnose)...... this will prevent you keep on throwing $$$ at the problem w/out being sure the new parts will fix it. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

Ok so I replaced the FP relay. and still nothing this is with the FP Trigger grounded.I also put in my spare cpu. and the code was something like "fuel preamiter max, Pressure regulator" I need this running so what will I hurt by just running a power wire from ignition controled aux fuse box. to the Pink/black fuel pump wire.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Replace your ignition switch in the steering colum, the electrical portion.

Ford will do it for free-its a recall.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

which one the keypart or the plastic part with all the wires.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Ok so I replaced the FP relay. and still nothing this is with the FP Trigger grounded.I also put in my spare cpu. and the code was something like "fuel preamiter max, Pressure regulator" I need this running so what will I hurt by just running a power wire from ignition controled aux fuse box. to the Pink/black fuel pump wire.
Attached is the FP relay pinot diagram, and the voltage/ground signals that should be present for the relay to activate. Hacking the wiring to "fix" a problem that should be diagnosed in your car, is your call. The fact is, based on the information and test results provided, the relay should be activating and sending power to the FP. Why is it not working?...... maybe the sign of a bigger problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27355/E79DC3640A794375BE9132718CFEB0F7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: fuel pump powerless