5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

track times in..need some advice on these numbers..what do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:05 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default track times in..need some advice on these numbers..what do you guys think

Hey guys my names mike. Im 17 and i have a 1994 mustang gt. The mods are..

17" cobra R rims
bbk cold air intake
bbk shortie headers
off road h-pipe
flowmaster catback
3.73 gears in the rear
steeda tri-ax shifter
bbk adjustable fuel pressure regulator (35-38psi)
kyb agx ajustable shocks/struts
70 mm TB
190 lph fuel pump.

These are my list of mods and this is how i did at the track- best run 14.87 RT.352
60ft-2.34
330-6.4
1/8-9.69 @ 75.32mph
1000-12.05
1/4-14.87 @95 mph

I personally thought these times were weak consindering the work i have done. If anyone could give some suggestions on what to launch at and some driving pointers that would be great. Right now im running a brand new pair of the BFGoodrich G-force sport radial on the rear. If you guys have any suggestions that be greatly appretiated! Not to cut up on the import guys but my buddy is running a CAI exhaust and some "hondata" program and he spanked me with a 14.3 in a rsx. I cant be letting this happen!![:@]
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 AM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: track times in..need some advice on these numbers..what do you guys think

Your 60' times are terrible for one thing.
Actually, the only "mods" you have that are actually making any HP are your exhaust parts.
I also think the 70mm TB is too much. A 65mm would be better.
You need to get that 60' time down a bit....when you can knock a few tenths off of that, your E.T will pick up.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:23 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: track times in..need some advice on these numbers..what do you guys think

Aftermarket upper and lower rear control arms would help traction quite a bit, preferably the adjustable ones if money allows. Should be a drag setting on the AGX or some reference material somewhere that will tell you how to set them for maximum weight transfer from front to rear. You can get an adjustable pinion snubber from summit for like $50 that will stop axle windup and wheel hop if that is an issue and help plant the rear tires. There are other tricks and options as well, try a search on this forum.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:27 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

yea your rims are hurting yoru times.
you tb is way to large for yoru stock intake one its not open enough for a 70
a 65 would od you better
with your 60' and mph i can tell you had some wheel spin. get rid of those rims get some light ones[for racing]
get tires and become aggressive a low 14 to a high 13 is within reach.

but liek stated your list of mods arent really nothing but exhaust
Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

i dont see an aftermarket MAF on that list.

that alone can knock 2 tenths off, the stock ones are TINY.

get at least a 73mm unit, your exhaust mods wont help any if the engine is choked up.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default what i should do..

i think the only real mod i could tell a difference in was the 3.73 gears. I think thats my major mod not the exhaust. But the exhaust does help dont get me wrong. So sounds like i need to get rid of that 70mm tb and get a 65mm and a new MAF. Im not real big into the drag scene right now. I just want a quick streetable car for now since im only 17. Ill worry about the tires better. As for traction i hooked up pretty good but when i hit 2nd it spun and got a little sideways. I didnt get a chance to play with my AGX's due to the rain that closed the track a little after my run. Thanks for the help ill look into getting those mods and see what i can do..Any more suggestions?

Future mod's.
331 stoker
pro charger supercharger.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what i should do..

trust you didnt hook you should of. you can get a new MAF but chances are you can still get good times with one. alot of ppl are stillrunning a stock one and pulling decent times. now your tb is way to large for yoru setup
Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Well I have the same problem you do.. Here is my list of mods:

-1.7 Crane Roller Rockers
-Trick Flow Street Intake
-BBK 70MM TB (stock MAF)
-BBK CAI
-BBK Shorty Headers
-Headman O/R H-pipe
-American Thunder Exhaust
-Cobra Clutch
-4.10 Gears
-New Front Struts
-MSD TFI Coil

... .043 RT
... 2.158 60ft.
... 6.196 I2
... 9.532 I3
... 73.588 MPH (I3)
... 12.340 I4

... E.T. 14.857
... MPH 92.532

I know my MAF is killing me, and the heads suck.. I have done zero weight reduction, I still have the spare tire/jack, and both sway bars on and running regular 40,000 mile tires. I have got a best of a 2.07 60ft. time, so I know the car is capable, but traction is a HUGE problem at this point. So I know how you feel..

All runs were made at Los Angeles County Raceway 3000ft. above sea level.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0sTheWayToGo

i think the only real mod i could tell a difference in was the 3.73 gears. I think thats my major mod not the exhaust. But the exhaust does help dont get me wrong. So sounds like i need to get rid of that 70mm tb and get a 65mm and a new MAF. Im not real big into the drag scene right now. I just want a quick streetable car for now since im only 17. Ill worry about the tires better. As for traction i hooked up pretty good but when i hit 2nd it spun and got a little sideways. I didnt get a chance to play with my AGX's due to the rain that closed the track a little after my run. Thanks for the help ill look into getting those mods and see what i can do..Any more suggestions?

Future mod's.
331 stoker
pro charger supercharger.
Yeah, you might want to look into some underdrive pulleys and some subframe connectors.
Also. how much gas is in the tank when you are racing? You don't want any more than 1/4 tank....if that

Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well I'm sad to report is you have bought one of the slowest stangs..reason their just plain heavy and the computer is a PIA to work with..but all is not lost
1st ..you need to put the car on a serious diet!
2. get some et street just for the track and some 15" rims..perfer drag lites
3. under drive pulleys

anything you can do the lighten up unsprung wt.. once you get the tires you can rev more and drop the hammer....you have about .30 in just the 60 foot to get..put the battery over the rear tires also going with a electric fan......like said above a bigger maf is needed but exhaust is more needed also a set of 1.72 rocker will help some as well.

Quick Reply: track times in..need some advice on these numbers..what do you guys think