5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

For those that installed aftermarket dash gauges i need help asap *****

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default RE: For those that installed aftermarket dash gauges i need help asap *****

When I did mine, I was able to pull it out enough to slip my hand back there, and release the speedo cable. It was a pain, but it was possible......

Then when I was done, I started the car and all my needles were off [:@]

I recommend starting it up before you put everything back together to make sure your needles are where they are supposed to be
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
hayden
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: For those that installed aftermarket dash gauges i need help asap *****

When I did mine, I was able to pull it out enough to slip my hand back there, and release the speedo cable. It was a pain, but it was possible......

Then when I was done, I started the car and all my needles were off [:@]

I recommend starting it up before you put everything back together to make sure your needles are where they are supposed to be
Same here... definetly make sure you check the needles before you put everything back together
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I just pulled the right side of it back far enough to get my hand behind it, then undo the speedo cable, and then theres lots of room.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
RedMachAndOrangeFox
2nd Gear Member

does anyone have recomendations for the needels when you take them off such as having a full tank of gas and marking where they are on the old faces???
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
worm2500
1st Gear Member

when i did mine i started the car and let it get up to temp, then took the needels off. that way you know exactly where every needle should be.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 AM
westcoastpj
1st Gear Member

how far are you getting?theres a 'sequence' i guess you can say.take the plug thats at the bottom right side of the cluster first.then the one at the top left then the speed.Now if you dont have enough slack to fit your fingers through,try using a long screwdriver at the edges of the plugs.The plugs come out pretty easily
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
rust_stang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: westcoastpj

how far are you getting?theres a 'sequence' i guess you can say.take the plug thats at the bottom right side of the cluster first.then the one at the top left then the speed.Now if you dont have enough slack to fit your fingers through,try using a long screwdriver at the edges of the plugs.The plugs come out pretty easily
ok thanks, ya i can just reach the bottom right one. then for the speed (that long pole looking thing) how do i take that apart?

also one last thing the ebay white face gauges i bought have like wires hooked up to the bottom the the slides i guess you would call them....do i even need them cuz i thought the old ones are just the slides you pop off then you place in the new white ones?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
rust_stang
I ♥ Acer

bump.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
9tyfiveo
1st Gear Member

basically, trial and error. its a bitch but well worth it. just keep trying. dont talk, just do. that's what i finally had to do. my brother wouldn't help me so i just kept trying, it worked!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Bullitt91
2nd Gear Member

to get the spedo cable off u squeeze the outer ring slightly while u twist and pull. getting it out isnt the hard part its putting it back in, my cable the actual cable on the inside kept pushing down in and it wouldnt hook up. it was a pain but like 9tyfiveo said u just kinda have to do it till u get it right.

Quick Reply: For those that installed aftermarket dash gauges i need help asap *****