5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Mustang won't start

ORIGINAL: Hollister Hoodlum

Well i went ahead and installed a msd cap and rotor, no luck either.

i cant check for spark cause the only person home is still asleep.

I did find another wire that looks pretty worn out... so i might fix that here in a little bit.

Is there anything else it could be?

im completly clueless now =/

follow instructions and you won't be clueless....check for spark at wires and from coil to cap while cranking..there is no omit steps...that's why one becomes clueless in the process of troubleshooting...never assume things are working the way they should....if no spark exists could be tfi module, stator in dizzy, and or coil or source voltage issues
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Yea, still waiting for somebody to help me check spark... oh forgot to mention i did replace place the stator.

Oh and how would i test the tfi module?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

Nice car with a 16 year old, 16 year old here and I wish my car was that nice! But it sounds to me like its not getting a good spark. Since the ether didn't work sounds like no spark to me.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Hollister Hoodlum

Yea, still waiting for somebody to help me check spark... oh forgot to mention i did replace place the stator.

Oh and how would i test the tfi module?

Thanks for the help!
here this should help

http://myshifter.com/joel50/tfi2.html
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

hmm... is that only for EFI?

cause mine doesn't look anything like that... and its talking about efi.

uhh here ill upload some pics, so you can see kinda what im talking about...

-----EDIT

I still havn't been able to check for spark, but if i hold the gas pedal down and turn it over, it really really wants to start, but it wont... it gets real close, then dies off again...

i don't know why it would do this... i also just checked all the plugs and made sure they were adjusted to 0.44 like the guy at advance to me to do.

the plugs look pretty rough so ill probably go pick up some new ones, even though im sure thats not it....

-----UPDATE!

Just checked for spark, it is getting spark to the plugs, i just tested it with a camera on the plug, so i can't tell if its yellow, or white... hopefully ill be able to go get some plugs here soon just to make sure they are all good.

Also going to buy a new ignition coil, hopefully between the two it will start, if that doesn't do it, could it be anything else???

its getting spark to the wires, and i know its getting fuel cause when i pulled the plugs they had traces of fuel on them..

So i'm assuming the plugs aren't getting enough spark to ignite the fuel???

am i totally wrong or... could it be something else
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well damn!!! that would of been nice to know what year we were working on from the beginning!!!..you have a duraspark ignition set up meaning you are carbed right??!!!.....do you have power to coil?? on b+ side and have you tried a new coil???.....if that fails evne though box tested good replace it with a known good one after that...as long as you have power and ground to box and power to coil and your 100 percent sure the dizzy is not 180 out and is set in right then not much else to check as long as all wiring is good.....coil looks old.. try a new one they are cheap
Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

spray some spray start down the carb or take a glass and pour a little gas down the primaries...will it fire up briefly???if it does then what you thought was a spark prob initially may actually be fuel prob
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Yeah i forgot to mention its an '84 =(

Yep its Carbed... and im getting power to the coil...

And its getting spark to the plugs... just not very bright so

I'm going to go buy a new coil and plugs here as soon as my brother gets back with my truck.

Hopefully it works. if not then i get the Ignition module...

THANKS A LOT for all the help!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Just tried the spray again...

no luck.. hopefully the coil and plugs will do!!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well after a new cap and rotar, new plugs, and a new coil.....and 5 trips to advance auto for wrong parts, i think i found the problem.

A inline fuelfilter that i bought from advance that was supposed to be "better" than the glass one it originally had, it had a huge whole torn in the paper, and had clumped up, and i think it blocked the carb, after spraying a bunch of carb cleaner and starter fluid it fired up, but i need to get a new filter cause the glass one is leaking like a waterfall all over the headers. Im not very happy cause the filter i bought is mabey 4 weeks old.

I really would like thank everybody that helped me out, and for all the tips i receieved.

Thanks a lot guys!!

Quick Reply: Mustang won't start