5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speaker Upgrade Fox

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

Default Speaker Upgrade Fox

I just have a quick question

I have gone through my 87 T-top GT and noticed all these really cheap *** wires running through the car where someone put in the LOL 80 watt amp in the back and a stupid speaker...

I disconnected this speaker and I'm running the fully stock speakers right now....I plan on using the wiring to hook up a nice amp and a pair of 12's in the back ...or maybe not something so extreme

I would like to know what speaker upgrade recommendations ya'll have?

I have the premium sound system with the tweeters in the dash
the speakers in the back are ALOT louder than the speakers in the front....but it's probably because of the cheap old *** head unit in there...

what are the sizes of the speakers?
should I swap out the tweeters?

what is everyones recommedations?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker Upgrade Fox

Just redid my 88 GT. I left the tweeters in the dash unhooked. Ran 6.5 Alpine Type S's in the doors reusing existing wire. Put 5x7 Alpine Type S's in the rear (I have a hatch) and actually ran 12 gauge wire to those as I had to fix some hack jobs. In the hatch area I built a box and put in 2 Alpine Type R's DVC and a Rockford Fosgate amp. From the amp to subs I am using 12 gauge wire and the remote wire running to the deck is something like an 18 or 20 gauge wire. As far as the deck, I went with an Alpine CDA-9885. I put bass blocks on all the speakers except obviously the subs.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

My super cheap, round one, Saturday night install is:

Optima Battery
Sony CDX-F7715X deck
Sony XA-110IP iPod interface/controller
JBL GTO 3.5s in dash
Stock in doors (work in progress.. started building door pods, not done yet)
Polk something-or-another in the rear
2 cheap-*** audiobahn 12's in a freebie box (not bad for $99)
AudioArt 50HC amplifier
Phoenix Gold 1/2 farad capacitor
Phoenix Gold 140A circuit breaker
All Phoenix Gold wiring (4 awg power)

Most of that is just stuff I had laying around. If I had to buy it all at one time, it would probably be about $700, excluding the battery. I bought most of that stuff used, so it would probably be more like $500. Not bad for the evening spent installing it and the very reasonable budget.

Future plans include getting my Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5 running an Image Dynamics IDMAX12 in the hatch, Adcom GFA-4404 running MB Quart Reference 5.25" components in kick pods, and 8" subs in the doors. Oh, and a full power/charging system overhaul.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 AM
TripleJay22
2nd Gear Member

in my convertible i went with
infinity kappa speakers 3 1/2 in dash, and then both front and back are 5 1/4
alpine 9885 deck
its like 4 guage wires to amp
kenwood class d monoblock 1000w rms amp
2 10" jl audio w3s in a jeep/mustang box. box fits great in convertible and only box ive found that actually fits
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Ridinsidewayz
1st Gear Member

I have a 88 gt In the dash is 3 1/2" and back has 5x7's. It depends on how much money you want to spend. You will get the best sound if you run your mids and tweets of a 4 channel amp and use component speakers. In the front you can put a 6 1/2" in the door and the tweet in the dash location where the stock speakers are. The rear they make a 5x7 plate with a 4 or 5" speaker and tweet mounted just above that and monts in the stock location. You will be best off getting a head unit that has 3 preamp outputs and can control the amp setting from head unit. As fo the subs I prefer a sealed box I think you get cleaner sounding bass. The 10" speakers sound crisp, but 12's hit low's a lot better. Make sure the amp you get has more than enough power to push the subs so you don't overwork the amp. If you go with 2 twelves you might consider a capasitor to prevent voltage surge. It should also prevent your lights from dimming when the bass hits. I think one of the best investments I made was dynamat. I did the whole interior, it was kinda expensive, but it really deadens vibration not only from the subs, but the engine and exhaust as well. You don't loose and bass it just eliminates a lot of anoying rattles and sqeaks.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
9tyfiveo
1st Gear Member

+1 on the dynamat. Find a way to stuff in the doors when you have it pulled apart. makes doors sound good when they close, Sounds is AWESOME, ALOT less road noise. all around good investment.

I went with a Pioneer deck frome ebay$92(Good deal)(deh-4800? 4900? ib) anways i have blue light guages so the deck with a blue **** and detail with greee buttons makes it look like it is made for the car. As for speakers, i went with infinity kappa's 6 1/2" (ebay) in the doors and infinity reference dash speakers also from ebay. (be sure to get new ones). just from doing that my sound is AMAZING. CRISP, CLEAN, CLEAR. everyone LOVES it. i had stock ones in the back for i had no need for an upgrade for a while. about last week i finally found some pioneer ones laying around(crap) but better bass than stock so i put them in. whole system cost about deck($92)+front&door speakers($60)+speaker wire for doors and an install kit ($15?) correct me if im wrong, but $167???? about that much to make driving a pleasure. a REAL pleasure. Strongly suggest the dynamat.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

In my '84 i have

pioneer headunit

uhh pioneer speakers

mtx - amp

2, 15 inch rockford fosgate p2 subs... and a capacitor

all came with the car or i would be more specific

they sound amazing, but the subs are a bit to big for me, i have them turned all the way down and they are still pretty kickin...

Alpine has always been a favorite for me, but havn't really checked to see what they make to fit a fox... since mine came with a system

Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Mustang Nation

JL Audio FTW?excelent clarity and heart stopping bass=P kinda pricey but if u have it spend it ,rockford Fosgateis pretty good on quailty as well,and for the tweeters id deff replace them for best peformance and sound quailty
Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 PM
wolf39us
2nd Gear Member

[hr] [/align] so it's either a 5x7 or a 6x8??

lol

does it depend on the year or something?[/align]
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Mustang Nation

in my sn-95 i have pioneers and there 6x8's im not to sure for your year but u could measure it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade Fox