5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New tubular and car wont stay running!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default New tubular and car wont stay running!

[hr]

Alright, well I had the rpm intake on my car, and the car ran great. I have always wanted a GT40 tubular, and I finally got my hands on one, and had it professionally ported. Everything looks great, I got it home, cleaned everything up, and put all of the plugs in the vacuum ports that I was not going to use.

Well I got the new intake on, and stabbed the distributor. Rechecked everything, vacuum lines, injector connections, firing order, and all other electrical connections. (I have had the intake off of this car about 20 times without a problem) I go to fire it up, and it fires right up, and instantly dies. So I keep trying and it just doesn't want to stay running. I figure maybe I stabbed the dizzy incorrectly (highly unlikely) but it was the only thing that I could think of at the time. So I pulled the #1 plug, brought the #1 cyl to TDC and restabbed the dizzy. I know it was correct this time. Go to start it and the same thing.. will not stay running for more than 2 seconds.

How fragile are injectors? I did manage to accidently drop two of the injectors when i was pulling off the RPM intake. These are brand new 24# injectors (about 800 miles on them) I looked them over, and they look perfect. My fuel pressure is about 40psi so that's good. Everything on the car is brand new. I had an MSD distributor, and hearing all of people's problems like this, I replaced it with my stock distributor, and got the same results. HELP!!![/align]
Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New tubular and car wont stay running!

Anyone? I know it must be something small that I am overlooking, any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

If an injector was the prob it should run but run roughm check your coil
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

You might have a spilt in one of your vacuum hoses where you can't see it. You sound like you know what you're doing, so it's gonna be something simple. I suggested a hose is split because you said you had the intake off many times and the hoses got damaged along the way.

It could also be your intake gaskets leaking... it just sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Go over your vacum lines one more time to be absolutly positive! I know when I threw the motor in my ranger I missed one and it would keep shutting off but when I held my foot to the floor it would run fine but died at idle till I found that.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

agreed vaccum leak somewhere i had the same prob and a hose came off. check the pcv on the back
Old 03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Well you were all right.. I walked away and didn't even look at the car for a couple days. Went to pull the upper off AGAIN this morning, and found that the EGR was hitting on the passanger side valve cover causing a HUGE air leak where the upper/lower mate. I knew it had to be something stupid. I didn't realize that the GT40 intake would not fit on my car with the trick flow valve covers. The spacer is going on tonight, and hopefully I will report back with a car that runs like a raped ape again!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
95greengt
3rd Gear Member

you gonna get rid of your rpm intake ?????
Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
verter2
2nd Gear Member

Ace,
Just wanted to say that your stang is one sharp car!! I love it, great look. Congrats

Didn't want to hijack the thread, but just had to be said.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95greengt

you gonna get rid of your rpm intake ?????
Yeah. It's for sale in the classifieds. You want it? let me know. pm me.

Quick Reply: New tubular and car wont stay running!