5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speed density

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speed density

my car is speed density, but when i get into bigger mods like heads and cam, im gonna throw an 4bbl on there
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Crash7772
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aliate X

ORIGINAL: Crash7772

I have seen more threads about issues converting to mass air then I have seen issues with modded SD cars.
Thats because people dont mod SD cars because it doesnt work.
From other sites....

"Yea Dagger posted solution to my map sensor problem and I nocticed he had Speed Density!!!!!!!yet he has monster upgrades!!!!Still I was wondering if you can program cpu to make fuel air adjustments IE mass air?????The 86 has fast burn heads oops unique to that year only and dont alow 4 over 14 timing adjustment I think????If I upgrade intake will the cpu adjust ratio even though i have no mass air?????"

"You can get away with allot with SD. The big difference is that most of your tuning will have to be done mechanically as opposed to being done through the computer. For heads... I still rcommend the Twisted Wedge. It "should" keep you from having to knotch your pistons provided you're careful with the cam. I've heard of several others who have knotched their pistons while still in the car but I opted to avoid that (probably due only to ignorance). The E-cam cased me some headaches initially because the vac due to the cam was a bit less than stock. You may have to have the fuel tables on the SD computer changed (reprogrammed) to adapt to what the MAP sensor is seeing at different levels of part power. If you want to make all of your power normally aspirated you'll definitely have to get the computer reprogrammed. At that point even I (a die hard SD freak) would have to question if a Mass Air system wouldn't be the best thing to do. For supercharged applications I'd say keep your mass air and watch your cam. If you plan on running a cam with any overlap it will be difficult (if even possible) to retain the SD. And even it is possible I doubt that it would be worth the expense or effort. SD tries to keep the AFR at a constant 14.7. Great for gas mileage and smog; not so great for making power or for power adders. Things like variable FMU's, larger injectors, and electronic fuel pump boosters make it possible to 'trick' the computer into sending a hell of a lot more gas than it thinks it is. If you plan on doing any serious mods with your SD then I can't stress enough how imprtant it is to permanently install a wideband 02 sensor and reader. It makes tuning a hell of allot easier if you know what's going on. I plan on keeping my SD to the bitter end (who knows why? lol). I hope some of this helps. I guess the bottom line is "Yeah" you can do the mods but you have to be more careful what you do than the Mass Air guys do. Unless you've got a completely programmable EMS that deals with SD it can be a trick." (Dagger himslef)

"Iam also trying to stay with SD for as long as i can i did all the mods in the sig along with a crower cam that works awsome with SD, i didnt have the money for heads at the time i did the cam but this winter iam goin to buy AFR 165's with the 58 cc chambers and hopefully make around 300 at the wheels iam curently at 244 horse and 291 torque at the wheels. The guys over at www.50tech.com know a good deal about speed density i would recomend checking that site out.
Adam"

"I recently did a blower on my car.. stock motor, 65 mm TB.. stock fuel system.. vortech A trim at 5 psi (going to be upped to 8 soon).. the only thing i needed was a vortech SD kit (one way check valve) for my map sensor.... It runs strong as hell and tomorrow i should have 24 lb injectors and a TFS track heat installed"

"crower 15511 and 15510
compcams nx264hr
comp cams xe264hr
comp cams xe270hr
the steeda # 19 is right at the max of the sd limits, I havent saw any one run this one in SD yet.
I ran the nx264hr with 24# injs in my sd combo with thumper heads tmoss lower and then a cobra intake later. It ran fine. I eventually swapped to mass air for future mods. It ran pretty much the same either way. I realy liked the nx264hr cam with the 1.7 rockers."

"my sd combo never surged. I have had more trouble with surge on my maf combo but i fixed it."

"In case your interested, you can run a Kenne Bell blower on Speed density up to 8 psi boost without changing anything but putting the blower on.
Makes nice power right off idle that you can't get with the other mods without a lot of changes and work."

"I know quite a few speed density guys running really fast ...
You can indeed change cams and intakes and heads ...and altho sometimes tough to tune ..if you do your homework you'll find some parts are "SPEED DENSITY FRIENDLY"
cams to look into are Crower 15511, Comp XE 270 for starters..

My friend has ported heads ... a mild crower cam (Crower 15511)
65 TB .. 373's ... ported lower intake .. pulleys ...headers-Hpipe-Flows ... K&N Filter and he rips!!!
No tuning issues ..smooth and fast as a Rabbit in heat!!!

Don't get down on SD... there's many articles and even on here about SD.

T-moss who ports intakes and has one on his car if I'm not mistaken runs SD.
Talk to him....
The smaller line of Crower cams are really SD friendly so look into those... so keep your head up ...

Altho easier to tune a mass air car after major changes ... the right speed density performance parts can get you ballin with the big boys ... just gotta watch what you eat"

I can find more......I have more fears of going Mass Air then modding the $h!t out of my SD car.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Okay Im not reading all of that and I see what your saying, but I would still think MA is better, but maybe not that much better that theres a need to convert to it if you can change your SD to accept mods.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

F.A.S.T is the name of the product. it stands for Fuel Air Spark Tuning (?). its an aftermarket speed density system and many racers use it. it lets you really tune your motor.

Ok, so are you saying that it is a tunnable system like i can tune it (if i knew how) or that it is just tuned differently than the stock SD?

Also, where can i get it?
FAST = Fuel, Air, Spark, Technology and they are located at http://www.fuelairspark.com/
Old 04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

ok mass air is deff better than SD but you CAN MOD AN SD CAR, i did with mine and it ran fine, maby it was just my car i dunno, i did not have a driveabilty problem at all, but i would say you should go with mass air it is better, and more advanced
Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 AM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: 87 hatch

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

F.A.S.T is the name of the product. it stands for Fuel Air Spark Tuning (?). its an aftermarket speed density system and many racers use it. it lets you really tune your motor.

Ok, so are you saying that it is a tunnable system like i can tune it (if i knew how) or that it is just tuned differently than the stock SD?

Also, where can i get it?
FAST = Fuel, Air, Spark, Technology and they are located at http://www.fuelairspark.com/
i knew "tuning" didn't sound right, but i couldn't think of it at the time. thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:46 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

LOL this is the 3rd time I have had to do this ...its all good though for all you guys sayin SD doesnt work or need help fixing and tuning SD systems go to 50tech.com they have awesome information on SD. As well SD does work with mods just fine it just a real headache tuning the damn things and a custom chip is neccesary, and ALL your engine sensors specifically o2 sensors have to be in tip top shape. I just got a chip burned for my SD stang with the mods in the sig and at first it ran like POOP and after the chip it runs amazing the guy did an awesome job cost me 500 CAD. Soo after all my money was spent and finally my car is back running fine after reading TONNES of articles on SD and how to tune I can say YEs you can. But ask me if I had to do it all over again.......no. For a guy just learning how to MOD a car its alot to learn, I have worked on quite a few engines and never had the problems I have had with this SD Stang.......But I gots her going good now!!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Crash7772
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schwindty

LOL this is the 3rd time I have had to do this ...its all good though for all you guys sayin SD doesn't work or need help fixing and tuning SD systems go to 50tech.com they have awesome information on SD. As well SD does work with mods just fine it just a real headache tuning the damn things and a custom chip is neccesary, and ALL your engine sensors specifically o2 sensors have to be in tip top shape. I just got a chip burned for my SD stang with the mods in the sig and at first it ran like POOP and after the chip it runs amazing the guy did an awesome job cost me 500 CAD. Soo after all my money was spent and finally my car is back running fine after reading TONNES of articles on SD and how to tune I can say YEs you can. But ask me if I had to do it all over again.......no. For a guy just learning how to MOD a car its alot to learn, I have worked on quite a few engines and never had the problems I have had with this SD Stang.......But I gots her going good now!!
Do you have any dyno numbers? Also do you have A/F readouts before and after the chip to prove what your driveability issues were? It almost seems like the 24's might be to much on the fuel with the stock cam still in the car even though you have the 1.7RR's. What issues did you have with your set-up? It seems like all the info I have read is that the SD cars run fine with the proper SD friendly mods and when they do swap over all they end up doing is adding more fuel (the guys running 19's) to the car becasue the mass air runs the car leaner.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:48 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I do not have any read outs yet I sent in all my engine info along with the what I have done to the car what lift/durations I am running and sent my computer to the guy. Once my paint is done I am going to be going to his shop to get it all fine tuned. His shop is like 5 hours away from my house soo its a fair drive away. I had TONNES OF ISSUES/ BAD Luck fist off I dropped a nut into my dizzy hole, so I changed the oil pan and motor mounts while I had the pan out searching for the nut. Then my o ring was gone on my fuel rail... started a nice fire and had to change the wireing harness and vaccum lines. Bassically my car was sick off the line and wasn't idleing worth a damn. So I changed all my vacums lines bought a new Accel Dizzy/ciol Wires the works I Basically narrrowed my problem down to the computer. THen I had a choice to either go MAF or get a chip done and I choose the chip because I built my setup around SD(stock Cam) there is some cams you can run the crower 15515 is the favorite with SD setups most guys run. Soo now that I have the chip in it seem to run WAY better but I have not had it out on the Highway yet I won't be able to make itup my driveway if I take it down soo about the bottum end power I am still unsure. When I get dyno numbers I will post them but for a piece of mind and advise, its cheaper all around.easier to go MAF. SD is a challenge but fiarly simple, just need the right tools and a good chip burner, Fuel Pressure REG, wideband 02 sensors, and a timing light are a must
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

my 88 is SD and have had no problems with it, i have put gt40 uper and lower intake, hpip bbk equal lengh headers, but i bet if i put heads on i might have a prob, but hey u never know!!

Quick Reply: Speed density